Decided and Thank You

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TomC

Decided and Thank You

#1 Post by TomC »

Just wanted to thank those of you who replied to my posts and helped me decide on which window I wanted. Given my budget and wish to minimize frame/sash width, 15 Alside Excaliber double-hung dual pane with ClimaTech Low-E/Argon/Superspacer met my needs best. The company does their own installations, has had no complaints recorded by the Home Improvement Commission and supplied a list of 40 names as references (no, I did not call them all). Look forward to u-values this winter of less than 0.999! Now I just have to add more insulation to the attic and weather stripping to the doors.....

Oberon

U value

#2 Post by Oberon »

U value of .999???

Yep, I would also change my windows with those numbers!!!

Good luck and enjoy!

TomC

#3 Post by TomC »

Of course my current U-value of 0.999 for the old windows is approximate. Not sure what value the duct tape covering the storm window gaps and shimming the storms in place has....

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Congrats Tom

Might want to do some research on the attic insulation just like you did with windows... with current building sciences and available resources, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be learned that will help. If not addressed properly, you new windows will actually increase the stack effect of heat and moisture transferring through your attic now. Look into providing a vapor barrier at the attic insulation (thermal boundary) level. Without it, any insulation existing or additonal only becomes an expensive air filter. Oh... and if anyone recommends cutting a bunch of new holes in your roof for ventilation or a power exhaust fan... shoot them!!! Good Luck.

FenEx