Replacement Bow Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
npolite

Replacement Bow Windows

#1 Post by npolite »

Hi All,

We are looking to replace our vinyl bow windows. Each bow has 5 vinyl windows and has had water penetrate into them for a while now. They were installed back in the early 90s and I have a brochure that they are Bowlite products. The sizes of the opening are roughly 115" wide by 72" high for one and 115" wide by 48" high. We are looking to replace each one with 3 36" wide windows. I understand there will be some filling that will need to be done.

I had picked out some Jeld-Wen windows off of Lowes and they come out to around $1200 for all 6 of them.

I also had Lowes come out to give me an estimate. I guess they try to push the Pella line since they probably make the most profit from that. I was quoted $7578 pre tax with their 15% off special for Pella aluminum windows. I had also asked about Jeld-Wen windows but he quoted Vinyl Reliabilt by Atrium for 3882 pre tax. Does this seem reasonable?

I had some other window contractor yahoo visit who wanted to replace 7 out of the 10 windows. I mentioned that the wood has already been stained and that it would be possible that even if patched the water will come in again. He insisted that they would not leak and quoted me something like $5500 to replace them. I just wanted a price on the 6 Jeld-Wen windows that I asked for in my online request and told me he couldn't provide a total price but it would be $150 per hour.

I would appreciate any advice. I am new on this forum and will try to read some other posts to get a feeling as well.

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement Bow Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Jeldwin is NOT a good window and either is reliabilt.
You are also making a HUGE mistake by even considering a handyman. No knowledgeable window pro charges by the hour.
2 bow windows are going to easily be in the 7k and above range.
Stay away from those big box stores and hire a company that has a focus on windows.

npolite

#3 Post by npolite »

Thanks Masterext for the reply.

I am going to replace the bow windows with 3 36" single hung windows.

The window company I mentioned earlier that wanted to replace some of the windows and not the entire frame, I wasn't going to use at all. Lowes were the only ones I was considering.

Would I just keep looking up window companies until I get one that I am comfortable with? Can you provide any details as to why to avoid the big box stores?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

npolite,

Big box store aversion is a combination of installation quality and product offerings. They do have some decent products but the installations can be a real roll of the dice.

Where is the home located?

npolite

#5 Post by npolite »

Thanks Windows on Washington. We are about 10 miles out of the Philadelphia area.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Several good pros from this board serve this area. The Window Nerd is based right near Philly.

You can get his information in this thread by clicking on his name: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5792

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Converting those monster bows to flat triples will save you money.
One of the issues is repairing the scars where the bows may have been wrapped to the soffits or even pent roofs.
Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

TheWindowNERD