HELP on Window World Excaliber vs Simonton 5050 quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rhemi2003

HELP on Window World Excaliber vs Simonton 5050 quote

#1 Post by Rhemi2003 »

Hi All-

I'm new to the forum but have learned alot from reviewing other posts. I'm hoping someone can clarify a couple of quotes for me. I have one from Window World who is suggesting their 4000 series double hung windows (from my research these are just Alside Excalibers). And, I have a quote from a local dealer who installs Simonton 5050.

I'm primarily looking to gain energy efficiency, home comfort, and improved aesthetics from this purchase; but, I don't have a huge budget to work with. I'm replacing 20 windows and I'm located in Dallas, TX. Here is a look at what has been quoted.

$10,100 - Window World 4000 Series (Alside Excaliber)

1 - Single Hung
11 - Double Hung
2 - Sliders
5 - Eye-Brow specialty shaped Windows

$13,500 (before a $1,500 ad discount) - Simonton 5050

3 - picture windows in front of house. Eyebrow on two outside windows, replacing old, leaded glass windows
3 - Single hung geometric top window (eyebrow)
11 - double hung
2 - Slider
1 - Picture window above master tub (not included in Window World Quote)

All quotes are including argon gas and some extras like prairie grids, obscure glass, tempered etc. This should be comparing apples to apples. However, the Simonton is $600 - $675/window and the Window World estimate is about $475/window. The Simonton dealer seems to be playing more pricing games and from my research I should be getting the Simonton 5500 for the pice he is charging. Can any of you tell me if these quotes are too high and what I should be looking for? I'm needing to know if the Simonton and the Excaliber are comparable? And if the prices quoted are decent?

Please help me as I want to make the right decision. If I need to provide more info please let me know...

HomeSealed

Re: HELP on Window World Excaliber vs Simonton 5050 quote

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Im not familiar with the pricing of the Simonton lines, so Im not sure of the difference between the 5050 and the 5500. With the options, the pricing doesnt seem out of whack to me, but there are a couple of board pros in texas that would probably have a better idea on pricing in your area.... The one thing that I'd strongly suggest, is to stay away from the WW choice. They pay their installers a fraction of the going rate, and that window is poor product. If for some crazy reason you insist on using them, don't get anything less than the Sheffield (6000?)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

the excalibur is low quality, plain and simple. the 5050 by simonton is not a very good product in my opinion. i would look at the simonton 5500 if its available in your area.
if you don't have the proper budget to do your project correctly i would either wait til you did or do the job in stages. going with a particular brand just because it fits a certain budget will wind up costing you alot of money in the future unless this is a rental property.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

The OP asked which of the two were the better choice. He didn't ask for investment advice. :roll:

I will echo Homesealed's sentiments. Good luck

Rhemi2003

#5 Post by Rhemi2003 »

Thanks for the input guys. I talked with the local Simonton installer again today and he said he could do the 5500 for the same price he quoted me for the 5050. I knew the $600/window for that window was too expensive, but I wasn't sure the 5500 would fit that budget. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I do want a good deal on quality windows.

I've gathered from this board that the Simonton 5500 is a fine "mid-grade" window.

Now, for Dallas,TX, what kind of upgrades would I need for this window, if any? I've heard that the superspacer?? is something I should look into and there are different glass packages... I just want to get the best window for energy efficiency in my area.

Another thing I have a question about. Should a non-functional picture window cost more or less than a single hung functional window? I've received mixed feedback from my window salesman...

Thanks again for your help. I was just thinking earlier today that if I did any more research my head would explode! :?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

[quote="buddy11"]The OP asked which of the two were the better choice. He didn't ask for investment advice. :roll:

INVESTMENT ADVICE?? if i was going to do that,i would have him long Apple (AAPL ) til 400 bucks not some replacement window...in fact he would have been in it after it broke through 220.

Skydawggy.

#7 Post by Skydawggy. »

You will be very pleased with the Simonton Reflections 5500. I would get it with the 366 glass, sash re-inforcements and either Supercept or Super Spacer would be fine. Simonton has moved away from Super Spacer, although it's still available.

Has your installer discussed the details of the installation with you?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I guess I have a question as to why he would lead with the 5050 and sell the 5500 for the same price.

Either he is just looking to fill and opening or he does not know windows.

tsduke

#9 Post by tsduke »

EcoStar Windows wrote:You will be very pleased with the Simonton Reflections 5500. I would get it with the 366 glass, sash re-inforcements and either Supercept or Super Spacer would be fine. Simonton has moved away from Super Spacer, although it's still available.

Has your installer discussed the details of the installation with you?
Just curious, what makes you suggest the Sash re-inforcements?

Skydawggy.

#10 Post by Skydawggy. »

Because he lives in Texas. Sash reinforcements are necessary in that environment.

Rhemi2003

#11 Post by Rhemi2003 »

I'm going to get one more Simonton 5500 quote to make sure the price is fair but thanks for all of your help. I'm a little skeptical of the installer that wanted to put in the 5050 for the same price as the 5500... Seems like he's trying to make out too well and take advantage of his customer.

And, the investment advice was helpful too. I got into AAPL around $200, so maybe I can afford some better windows :D

Rhemi2003

#12 Post by Rhemi2003 »

Okay. I hope everyone is still willing to help me out. I got a few more quotes and I'm now more confused. I've decided to get two patio doors replaced as well and it is cutting into my budget but needed for energy efficiency in living room and master bedroom. Due to this, the Simonton 5500 quotes seem too high for my budget. I'm leaning towards the Wincore 7700 as it is comparable and the quote from Company #2 seems pretty good. Any thoughts on the Wincore 7700? I haven't seen to many people discredit this window... Details on my job and quotes are below.

Also, (may not be the place) are Jeld-Wen fiberglass doors "decent" and do the quotes seem reasonable?

Windows to be Replaced
Single Hung 1
Specialty Single Hung (eyebrow) 5
Double Hung 11

Sliders 2

Bathroom (Convert three 9" X 36" windows to one square over tub) 1

20 Total Windows

Bids Window Type Amount

Window World Alside Excalibur 4400 $9,034
Rep stated they would not cut out Bathroom window. I would have to have a separate contractor do this prior to window installation.

Company #1
Simonton 5500 $13,195
Wincore 5400 $11,350
Burris Techview EX $10,195
Alside Excalibur $10,295

Company #2
All prices are given with a $1,500 ad discount taken off of the "actual" price of windows and installation.

Simonton 5500 $12,000
Wincore 7700 $10,200

Company #1 & #2 have also given bids for Jeld Wen Doors Company #1 $1,400
2 Fiber glass doors at 32x80 15 lites with grids on inside of glass Company #2 $1,800

TiffanyinTexas

#13 Post by TiffanyinTexas »

So are you happy with your windows? I have a quote for Simonton 5500 & Excaliber as well.

HoustonWindowExperts

#14 Post by HoustonWindowExperts »

Rhemi2003 wrote:Okay. I hope everyone is still willing to help me out. I got a few more quotes and I'm now more confused. I've decided to get two patio doors replaced as well and it is cutting into my budget but needed for energy efficiency in living room and master bedroom. Due to this, the Simonton 5500 quotes seem too high for my budget. I'm leaning towards the Wincore 7700 as it is comparable and the quote from Company #2 seems pretty good. Any thoughts on the Wincore 7700? I haven't seen to many people discredit this window... Details on my job and quotes are below.

Also, (may not be the place) are Jeld-Wen fiberglass doors "decent" and do the quotes seem reasonable?

Windows to be Replaced
Single Hung 1
Specialty Single Hung (eyebrow) 5
Double Hung 11

Sliders 2

Bathroom (Convert three 9" X 36" windows to one square over tub) 1

20 Total Windows

Bids Window Type Amount

Window World Alside Excalibur 4400 $9,034
Rep stated they would not cut out Bathroom window. I would have to have a separate contractor do this prior to window installation.

Company #1
Simonton 5500 $13,195
Wincore 5400 $11,350
Burris Techview EX $10,195
Alside Excalibur $10,295

Company #2
All prices are given with a $1,500 ad discount taken off of the "actual" price of windows and installation.

Simonton 5500 $12,000
Wincore 7700 $10,200

Company #1 & #2 have also given bids for Jeld Wen Doors Company #1 $1,400
2 Fiber glass doors at 32x80 15 lites with grids on inside of glass Company #2 $1,800

So, what did you end up doing?

tommyj

#15 Post by tommyj »

HoustonWindowExperts wrote: So, what did you end up doing?
Bumping up a 6 month old thread.... :roll:

Everybody knows what you are doing. :lol: