Kolbe extruded cladding vs rolled form

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
From_A_Buick_8

Kolbe extruded cladding vs rolled form

#1 Post by From_A_Buick_8 »

I know have quotes for a Kolbe wood window, the price for a full install of these are very close to what I have from Andersen and Pella, but for one exception.
I was quoted two prices one for the Kolbe Ultra traditional and one for the Ultra Sterling, the difference being the Sterling has an extruded exterior cladding and the Traditional has the roll form exterior cladding. The Sterling is about 15% higher.

Neither of the Kolbe quotes includes the grilles we want so this may push them a little higher then the Andersen and the Pella quote. We have pretty much ruled out the Pella window and the contractor that installs Marvin in our area was out and took measurements last night so we expect to hear from them soon.

We still need to see the Kolbe and the Marvin window in person, but hope to do that in the next few days.

Now my question is having the Extruded cladding worth the extra 15%

BigBob69

Re: Kolbe extruded cladding vs rolled form

#2 Post by BigBob69 »

I have had both Anderson and Marvin windows in the past. That being said I will take a Marvin any day over Andeson. Anderson is not what it was 20 years ago and Marvin has improved their windows. Service is important also. I think they both offer good service.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Kolbe extruded cladding vs rolled form

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are right about one thing most of the companies have increased and improved their offerings.
Marvin CUDH or Andersens A series are great examples of that.
I would also look at Eagle for an extruded exterior, 50 std colors.
I am not 100% sure but I think one of the major differences with the extruded vs the roll formed is paint/ color retention. Also at least with Pella the frame is extruded the sash roll formed so in 15 or 20 years you can sometimes see a large difference in color. The frame looks whiter the sash very gray and dirty.

What type of grids are you considering?