Is vinyl right for (really) hot climates?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
garza.alex1

Is vinyl right for (really) hot climates?

#1 Post by garza.alex1 »

I live in south Texas and am considering replacement windows. I've been told that vinyl is the wrong material for 100+ degree weather. Is there anything to this?

Randy

Re: Is vinyl right for (really) hot climates?

#2 Post by Randy »

For south Texas, vinyl shouldn't be ruled out completely, but I'd certainly only recommend vinyl windows with internal reinforcement and thicker walls (.075 - .080). Unfortunately, there are many vinyl windows sold in Texas that are not built well enough to withstand three or four summers without bowing and warping. Stick to the premium products and you'll most likely be fine.

You should also consider thermally-broken aluminum, as it holds up extremely well in the heat, and will never warp. While you do give up some efficiency, they offer many benefits that should be considered as well.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i agree 100% with Randy. you want a high quality window with thick outer walls and some sort of meeting rail ( sash ) reinforcement; preferrably a composite non conductive material.
fwiw, Randy in a contractor in Texas and is one of the best in my opinion. not sure if he serves your area but i would click on his contact button in the above post. its certainly worth a shot , he's a great guy and a true craftsman.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep you should definitely contact Randy if he serves your area.
Big line up of products, great installs, an honorable man.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2

Randy is one of the best. I trusted one of his installers with my Aunt's home and she was thrilled.