Andersen 400 vs Simonton 5050

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JMix

Andersen 400 vs Simonton 5050

#1 Post by JMix »

Looking to replace 28 windows in a coastal NC home. Currently have Pella wood windows which I hate; sills and all are rotting despite best upkeep attempts. I have a received a few quotes for Simonton Vinyl versus Andersen 400-- we are looking at over a $15,000 difference if I decided to go. I love the idea of a low to no maintenance vinyl (especially on the coast), but is vinyl okay in a +5000sq ft over $1M house? Thoughts....

Windows on Washington

Re: Andersen 400 vs Simonton 5050

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would rather see something in the impact rated family in that type of application.

I will be down in the OBX next weekend for that matter!

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes, great vinyl would be really good.
Click on Windows on Washington get a quote button. Maybe Eric can get this done for you.
If not contact me I'll come to the beach.
Anyway if you do choose AW 400 you want the WoodWright not the T&W. The WoodWright is all composite exterior, or A series.
Are the interiors stained?
There are faux wood finishes on vinyl that look super, and even some that can be stained. Eric can help you with all or any.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You would be amazed how much wood/wood construction there is down in the OBX. Ton of rot to go with it too. I looked at a couple windows that were literally cladding, and nothing else behind them.

JMix

#5 Post by JMix »

I'm actually located in Wilmington, NC-- 6 hours past OBx. My interiors are white, but currently my exterior is a painted cream. However, I do gave an all brick house, so change the color scheme to white is easy. I really like the low maintenance of vinyl, but have more choices with Andersen-- I just don't think it is worth almost double the cost.

TLHWINDOW

#6 Post by TLHWINDOW »

May get some rolling eyes, but let me give an opinion.

You want to stay money conscience, I think there are windows out there better than the AW and Simonton 5050.

But, if I had to choose, I personally would choose the Simonton 5050, BUT (Again) I would ask my installer about moving to the Amcraft Grand Estate Original if ABC Supply is in the area. It is the same window but re-branded and the warranty is extended by ABC Supply with a longer and a little better warranty on top of the Simonton warranty.

The 5050 is a decent window, not the best out there, but for the price you get decently clean lines, a higher DP rating, double strength glass and good glass package choices.

Make sure you vet your installer. Installation is going to be very important in your situation. Don't skimp on it.

Again, better windows out there, but between those two, I would choose Simonton over Anderson.

JMix

#7 Post by JMix »

I do have an ABC supply, but my installer has a relationship with another supplier that would be providing the Simonton. Not sure there would be significant savings. Never hurts to ask tho...

Curious though, which windows would you go with given trying to be somewhat cost conscious and trying to maintain low maintenance?

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Well truth be told my first choice based on cost, low maintenance, energy saving, appearance, and warranty = the Okna/HighMark 800 DX. You can get it wh/wh or wh/almond.
Eric at Windows on Washington can get that for you or similar.
The Simonton 5500 used to be my preferred unit but it is very drafty and thin profiles.
Call Eric and see if he can help you.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Getting a higher end vinyl product out a supply house is sometimes tricky as many series are reserved for exclusive exterior remodeling outfits. Most supply houses carry low to mid-grade at best. Lansing can do the 5500 and 9800 from Simonton which are both more attractive than the 5050. Lansing can also do a cellular PVC window from Interstate which is what I think fits best for your situation.

TLHWINDOW

#10 Post by TLHWINDOW »

5500 is a nice window. Not sure I would call it drafty..... But I would upgrade to the highest DP rating available with the unit as for us (me) down south is the most important item.

5500 Good, clean profile. Easy to operate.

I use PGT and Custom Window Systems a lot down in Florida, but I am unsure if those are even available in your area.

Good luck.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

When I was making the switch from Simonton as a primary vendor to more air tight units I had a high end townhouse subdivision that we did replacements in 8 units. Two of those units choose 5500. That winter we had a lot of wind and both homes with the 5500 had wind howling through them. None of the SL Imp. LS did. That confirmed the structural test results and we now only suggest units with a AI < .05

TLHWINDOW

#12 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Don't think I have ever had anyone experience that with the 5500, but I do know there are windows with better AI numbers too.

Of course if someone wants a 5500, they open up their budget to other window brands and series as well.