What is avg labor install price per double hung window ?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DaVille

What is avg labor install price per double hung window ?

#1 Post by DaVille »

In the Mid South area. I live in Louisville, Ky and I am curious what the average install price for a double hung replacement vinyl window, by a reputable window contractor ?

Including wrapping and finish out exterior. I have 24 windows in this job. So, I am sure that affects the price per window since the volume should be lower.

Just curious what most contractors would charge per window install for several at a time v. doing them all at one time.

What are some key things that I should ask about the install from the contractor to make sure they are competetent and are doing it correctly. Reading a lot of these posts, it seems that the install of window, insulation and wrapping is about as important as the window itself.

What are the key questions to ask to make sure the installer is an expert ?

Windows on Washington

Re: What is avg labor install price per double hung window ?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nearly impossible to toss out a number in a given market that you aren't currently in and without any insight into the company, warranty, product, installation, options, etc., etc., etc.

As far as vetting an installer, start with friends and neighbors and see if anyone has a good recommendation. After that, look at work samples and finish work details.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

First thing that is a red flag IMO is that a guy is willing to install windows that he didn't sell... Window replacement is specialty trade, and most guys that have that skill set sell an "installed" package, even if they are a small company. I can't tell you how many carpenters that I have had come in that have installed "thousands" of windows, but couldn't last a week doing this. Is it simple to install a 1940's double hung? Sure. But watch their eyes cross when they encounter an old Pella casement or need to execute a bend more complex than a 90* flat... You also expose yourself to finger pointing and a complete lack of accountability when the window and install are sourced separately. This forum and others are littered with the horror stories from consumers.

If I am misreading the post and you ARE sourcing them from the same vendor, I'd suggest looking at the final installed price. One guy might build his profit into the product and the next into the install. It is impossible to compare apples to apples without comparing the final, installed price.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With out seeing the job site and conditions it is hard to say.
I my market for a decent to good window you will see $465 to $765 for a supplied and installed , wood sash out, vinyl replacement in, foam, cap and seal. The window would have a .05 or less AI, U .26 or less, and a lifetime warranty, the lead installer would have a minimum of ten years in the trade and be a master mechanic, and be from a company that will be around in ten years to help when needed.

In the market place you will find prices from $200 to $1500 for the same basic job with low quality windows, .05 and higher AI, U .30, and poor workmanship.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Daville
You should be more concerned with finding a good window brand and a good install company opposed to asking about install prices which we never comment on.
Worst case scenario is you pay a little more compared to getting a cheap window and a not so good installation.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Worst case would be getting cheap window at high price with a bad install. This is why a box store can be bad.
I would concour with Anthony's numbers. Vague details get vague numbers.