Window Installation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowshopper

Window Installation

#1 Post by windowshopper »

When a window is installed what do they mean when they say wrapped and caulked.

The installer guy was in the area today and wanted to measure for the new windows and unfortunately my wife will be there not me. I asked him if he was going to wrap and caulk them and he said he would have to see the windows, that if they have those pulley things on the side they have a machine to put stuff in there. I told him I thought all windows were wrapped when installed and he said if they need insulation they will put it in. He claims they do the job right. Other than that unless there was a misunderstanding he did not seem to recognize what I was talking about when I asked about the wrap.

I thought this was something that was supposed to be done to all replacement windows when installed. Usually with me whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Could someone please explain this to me so I can be clear on it.

Thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Maybe he didn't understand you and thought you meant wrapped with insulation. The fact that he is talking about blowing insulation into the weight boxes is a good thing. Most companies don't without a serious upcharge.

Wrapped and caulked is bending custom painted aluminum to fit around the outside sills and casing. This part of the install can be the biggest place you can tell your installers skill level. It makes the difference between an ugly job and a beautiful one.

I posted "before and after" photos of what wrapping looks like on this site's sister site. The link is:
http://vinyl-replacement-windows.com/fo ... .php?t=268

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Sounds like your installer needs a hearing aid. Your correct on almost every replacement window job is wrapped (or capped) upon completion. It's even more critical to wrap when you have a home that has weight box cavities. Since we bore a huge hole in the exterior mullion to blow in the fill. It's only logical to cover all this area with a wrapping. W4U is very right on telling how good your installer is by the wrap. A rookie or in-a-hurry installer will just make "L" shaped bends to cover over everything. A good installer will bend it to the detail of the frame. CHeck your contract. It should state in there about the capping of the windows. If not I would get it in writing!! Good Luck!

Mass. window guy

#4 Post by Mass. window guy »

I have seen your windows.
There are no weight pockets.
You have fin frame windows that have been covered by T-111 on the exterior.
I was going to cut back the T-111 to expose the fin, do a complete removal of the unit. Install the custom sized unit with a fin frame. Seal the perimeter with bituthane/install new wood exterior dress moldings/new interior dress moldings/ aluminum coverage on the exterior trim.
The only area that can be insulated further is the space between the rough opening and the new unit.
It was a year ago that I was out there, but that is how I recall it to be, though I could be wrong.

windowshopper

#5 Post by windowshopper »

Thanks for the responses

Is it a normal procedure to insulate the space between the rough opening and the new unit?

I have to say that I was very impressed with Mass. window guy when he was at the house. Unfortunately with everything else that I need to do the house it was a little beyond what I wanted to spend. I would
not hesitate to recommend him.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

Sounds like a call to Mass Window Guy is all you need.