Okna Windows - Chimney Block / Draft Pads

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
johnnyjuice99

Okna Windows - Chimney Block / Draft Pads

#1 Post by johnnyjuice99 »

Long time lurker on this forum, and based on all the reviews - I'm looking to get Okna windows 400-600 and located in northern NJ. I am replacing crappy big box windows that have severe air leakage causing the room to be extremely cold/dry in the winter. Its now affecting the family to the point where we frequently we get sick in the winter. Learned my lesson to say the least.

1) Which Okna model would be the best bang for your buck? Functionality being priority, I could care less about cosmetics. For reference, I wouldn't pay an extra $50 per window for 10% gain in function. 20%+ could be considered.

2) In my research, it was said Okna windows don't include chimney blocks / Draft pads - is this still true?

3) Any other brands/models I should consider? Soft lite Barrington was on the list but not sure if its same pricing and quality. I've tried Simonton 5050 in a different house and those still had a minor draft and would like my next windows to be a step up of better quality. If possible, use a 1-10 rating so I can understand where all these window models compare, i'm still new to this but it would help so I can understand.

4) What is a good ballpark labor price range for 31 x 60 sizes on second floor installs?

Thanks in advance!

Ricknez

Re: Okna Windows - Chimney Block / Draft Pads

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Go with the Okna 500 or 600. Both are well above the barrington and 5050.
The barrington is soft lite’s budget window and the simonton 5050 is not worth considering at all in my opinion. Simonton is a very outdated window and lacks performance. The 5050 is also simonton’s lower end.
Most companies price as a “ package” and won’t price labor separately.
Why would you want a window that needs chimney blocks?
Last edited by Ricknez on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

All of the Okna windows will be miles ahead of the other choices in your post...so to that extent...they are all value propositions.

What labor is going to be is tough to tell. The last 3 years have really driven the extremes of both labor and materials and there certainly is a regionality to that calculus.

DanF

#4 Post by DanF »

I am also in northern new jersey and recently met with AGM Window who are an Okna dealer. We liked AGM and how they operate and will end up signing with them. We have 14 double hungs and we were quoted for the Okna 600 deluxe with double pane glass. I would like everyone’s opinion on upgrading to triple pane glass and if my climate warrants the extra?
I am also keeping in mind that my original
windows are from the mid 90’s and anything will be an improvement although I dont want to skimp on quality since we plan on living here at least 5-10 more years.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

With the tax credit for 2023 I like the triple upgrade investment.

Arif

#6 Post by Arif »

Any recommendation for good dealer with fair prices and quality installation for Okna/Starmark in LI New York?

jliudpt

#7 Post by jliudpt »

Arif wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:09 pm Any recommendation for good dealer with fair prices and quality installation for Okna/Starmark in LI New York?
Major Homes
https://www.majorhomes.net/

I have been speaking with one of their sales reps, Paul Blass, who is extremely knowledgeable about this and they are very easy to talk to. Highly recommend if you are in the LI area.

Wondering if anyone in the North East (NYC region) thinks that it is worth the upgrade for the Okna 800 to go from Deluxe (double pane) to Super Deluxe (triple pane)? Is the energy efficiency noticeable?

Thanks!