Window Trim Challenge

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ziffknab

Window Trim Challenge

#1 Post by ziffknab »

I'm looking for help identifying what kind of windows I have and advice on how to go forward. We're looking at painting our home and I wanted my trim boards replaced & repainted. My painters won't touch them. They say they've never seen this style of window before and are afraid of breaking them to get to the trim boards which are a good inch or so behind the vinyl.

It's not all of my windows, there are a few 'normal' without the vinyl overlay. We've been here 14 years and supposedly the windows were replaced a few years before we bought the house. I'm not against getting new windows, but aside from the trim rotting and looking like hell what we have now works fine.

Any thoughts on what I got here?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Attachments
window.jpg

HomeSealed

Re: Window Trim Challenge

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Best I can tell it looks like a window with integrated j-channel (typically used for vinyl siding), but someone stuck wood boards in there instead. The boards should be able to be removed, but I can understand the concern of your painters if those windows are chalking and brittle.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

It wouldn't be all that much work to take a multi-like oscillation tool and cut those narrow trim boards out even if they're sort of snuck into a built-in j-channel receiver if that's the case. Replace with some PVC Azek with some back caulking and stainless 16-gauge finish nails. No more paint maintenance.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

It looks like it may be flush finned window. If that’s the case I think it would be best to remove the window if the wood needs replacing.

ziffknab

#5 Post by ziffknab »

Thanks for the comments & suggestions! Going to talk it over with the painters this week.