Windows for a Rental Property

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
schittenden

Windows for a Rental Property

#1 Post by schittenden »

I'm trying to figure out which way to go on replacement windows for a townhome in NE MD. The property is a rental property that we used to live in years ago and the rent barely covers the mortgage. I'd sell the property, but my sister lives in it and can't really afford to live anywhere else. So, for now, I'm stuck. The windows are 30+ year-old Anderson wood windows (or so I've been told). They aren't closing properly, the screens are missing (well, a prior tenant took them out for some reason and bent all the frames), and I think it's probably time to replace them. That said, I don't want to make a larger financial outlay than absolutely necessary because of the circumstances. Given the competing priorities. What windows would the pros here recommended for the lowest cost but acceptable quality windows. There are 7 windows of identical size in the house (31.5" x 61"). The other two are smaller basement windows. One is 31.5" x 33"and the other is a hopper window that is 30.5" x 12". The one quote she received was for ProVia Endure windows for $7,300, which is honestly more than I was hoping it would cost. I see some of the pros here recommending against these windows in favor of Okna, but I can't quite tell why (other than a generic--it's better, you won't regret it, etc). Given that I don't plan to own the house forever, what is a good compromise between cost and quality?

Delaware Mike

Re: Windows for a Rental Property

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know your area pretty well as I lived in Middletown for years before I moved just back across the bridge back in 2008 to our family farm just off the Delaware River. Of the windows that general contractors/roofers/siders have to access to, ProVia vinyl is better than the ViWinco, Slocomb, MI, Wincore, Alside, Atrium, and depot/lowes type of stuff. Full dedicated window dealers will typically offer something engineered a little nicer. I'm a ProVia dealer and have a love hate relation with them as I get a lot of request from the internet and they have a fit with my business, with that being said I much prefer OKNA or Vytex's designs over them. Mostly from a quality control and design aspect.

Your Andersen frames are some of the more easily retrofitted with insert/replacement windows. I don't like outfits that caulk and walk with the install unless the budget doesn't allow for new exterior capping. Since the exterior Andersen Permashield PVC cladded pine frames are designed for exterior element exposure, it's more of a professional finish thing with me. You should research those bidding on how they finish the interior jambs and bottom wood stool area as there are several different ways to do that. The box store subs seem to cut off the Andersen plastic jambliner stop combo's and re-apply them which is kind of amature looking. I much prefer real wood stop molding. If they push to the exterior Andersen frame stops, you almost always have a gap between the new replacement insert and the existing wood stool that is too large to caulk. The stool should be removed and the horns trimmed back and reset.

schittenden

#3 Post by schittenden »

Thanks, what is it about quality control and design that you prefer OKNA and Vytex over ProVia? I'd appreciate any insight into what it is that makes them better windows. How do they compare cost wise? I know installation costs will vary. I haven't come across Vytex in my searching, so I'll look into those as well. I'll also see what the installer says about their methods. I have a couple others coming to look at it and give quotes.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

First two options are good. Third doesn't really belong in that conversation with the others.

schittenden

#5 Post by schittenden »

Which are the first two options and which is the third? Can you provide an explanation of why? What is that make the first two good options and the third one so much worse that it doesn't belong in the conversation? This is what I was asking in my initial post. I keep seeing posts that say--this is a much better window, but no one ever explains why one window is much better than the other.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okna and Vytex are superior to the Provia option. Provia makes a good door, their windows aren't the caliber of the other two brands mentioned.

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

-better engineering
-better design
-better materials down to the details
-MUCH, MUCH longer track record for making quality windows
-better performance
-better quality control
-fewr service issues
-stick-on pads that fall off arent the only thing preventing serious air leakage
-they are window companies, not a company that makes a different product and just decided to try making windows too as of a few years ago -- and a company known to have some new product offerings that they then discontinue

At the end of the day if you just want lower cost windows for a rental they are fine, only real worry there is that they decide to stop selling windows (like they just stopped selling storm windows) and where does that leave you when you need future service parts? I can tell you where as someone that used to sell products that were then discontinued: holding a bag of shite.