Sunrise Classic vs KHPP Ascent vs Soft Lite Classic

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
RSay28262

Sunrise Classic vs KHPP Ascent vs Soft Lite Classic

#1 Post by RSay28262 »

I have three quotes from reputable installers with excellent reviews. Two are local and one is national (Zen Windows). I'm trying to determine which brand is the best of the three. Soft Lite seems to have a ton of complaints regarding their warranty handling. Also broken seals with mold. Sunrise, which generally has good reviews, was bought by MI which are low quality. I'm having a hard time finding reviews for the basic Sunrise. I'm having a hard time finding things on KHPP Ascent line (all I see is Genesis). I'm going to ask all the installers how they handle warranty claims as that is one of my biggest concerns.

I was hoping for thoughts/opinions on these to make a proper assessment.

I have requested all installers quote me middle of the road windows (no cheap stuff but my house doesn't need the most expensive either). Double hung, no grids, black exterior/white interior (yes, I know that costs more). 11 windows total. I'm not necessarily put off by cost, it is what it is. I just want to be sure I get windows what aren't bad and I will get help if there's a warranty issue.

Sunrise (local installer): $12,450
KHPP Ascent (local installer): $10,922
Soft Lite Classic (ZEN Windows): $9,484

HomeSealed

Re: Sunrise Classic vs KHPP Ascent vs Soft Lite Classic

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricing seems reasonable.

Softlite makes some very good windows, however the model in question is their entry level which isn't great. Not a huge fan of that dealer concept either. If you could find a local dealer for the Elements or Imperial Elite that would be advisable.

Between Sunrise and KHPP those are nice windows. Each manufacturer comes with some baggage in terms of buyouts, etc, although I'd say that the Sunrise option is stronger in that area despite the recent "branding" change. Same windows, same factory, etc, just a new label.

How do the two local dealers offering this two products compare? If one was substantially more reputable that would certainly factor in.

RSay28262

#3 Post by RSay28262 »

Both local companies have excellent consumer reviews and ratings. Both companies are locally owned and been in business for 30+ years. I did find out that one does some installs for the other. I kind of prefer the installers be with the actual company and not a subcontractor.

Thank you for the SoftLite response and quality. I had a hard time understanding why there was a such a difference between SoftLite and the others when I asked for middle of the road windows.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

RSay28262 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm Both local companies have excellent consumer reviews and ratings. Both companies are locally owned and been in business for 30+ years. I did find out that one does some installs for the other. I kind of prefer the installers be with the actual company and not a subcontractor.
Good news on the first bit.

On the second, the reputation of the company is everything. There are great installers that are on payroll, and there are great installers that are paid as 1099 "subs" despite long term relationships with a given company. As a company we have and do use both, but I find that the most talented and reliable guys prefer 1099 (at least in my area)... I'd also question why a reputable company would be subbing installs from another? As a consumer I'd prefer to be working with the company that has the work to offer, not the one subbing for someone else to supplement their own work.

RSay28262

#5 Post by RSay28262 »

The one subs due to manpower.

I did end up going with the local company who does their own installations (he's used as sub contractor for the other). He does the KHPP Ascent and that's what I went with. I kind of had the same impression you did: I'd rather pay the guy that does his installs than pay the company that's just going to sub it out to him. Cut out that middle man.

Windows are ordered and should arrive next month!!!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

RSay28262 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:59 am The one subs due to manpower.

I did end up going with the local company who does their own installations (he's used as sub contractor for the other). He does the KHPP Ascent and that's what I went with. I kind of had the same impression you did: I'd rather pay the guy that does his installs than pay the company that's just going to sub it out to him. Cut out that middle man.

Windows are ordered and should arrive next month!!!
I'm not sure that we are on the same page. The company that uses the other guy as a sub is much more likely to be in business and able to service you down the road when you need it. "Cutting the middleman" is great to save a few bucks on the front end, but not when you get a "line disconnected" message when you call for service. Don't get me wrong, he may do a very nice job and all will turn out well for you. I do hope that's the case, you simply don't have the odds in your favor for the long term.