First Time Replacing Windows in House - Wood to Vinyl?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
zill412

First Time Replacing Windows in House - Wood to Vinyl?

#1 Post by zill412 »

Hello, all. Here is yet another person asking for advice as a homeowner who has never replaced windows in a house before. Located in western PA so we have all 4 seasons. House was built in 1989 as a model home and has all of the original wood windows currently. Exteriors are bronze (faded) and interiors are stained to match interior woodwork.

TL;DR: Do I need to be concerned about expansion and contraction if I go with Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows in a bronze exterior color?

They are in desperate need of replacement as they are drafty, difficult to open, and some are now starting to show some mold. I'm trying to learn more about windows as I reach out to get quotes and this site and discussion board have been very helpful!

Based on price, it seems like vinyl will be the most likely option for us. I am looking to replace 24 windows, all double-hung, 7 of them being oriole style (sizes noted at the end of this post). I have gotten several quotes ranging from $27,000 to $43,000. I'm leaning towards going with Soft-life Imperial LS with bronze exterior and an interior color to match my woodwork because I actually enjoy the stained interior woodwork and don't want to move to all white interior trim, doors, and molding (don't come at me!) and this quote for the SoftLife windows falls about in the middle of the range above.

However, one locally based installer (who a few neighbors have used and been happy with) told me that he would not recommend any vinyl window with the bronze exterior color due to "too much expansion and contraction." He also noted that the average price per vinyl window he would recommend would be about $800 each (but I'm assuming this does not include installation as that would be $19,200 which is significantly less than any quote I received). He can't come onsite to give me a detailed quote for another week but I don't want to waste his time if the info he is giving me about the bronze exterior being a problem is not valid. Thank you in advance for any and all feedback and commentary here. This has been quite the learning experience!

1@ 35 x 38, Double Hung
1@ 36 x 49, Double Hung
2@ 32 x 66, Double Hung (oriole)
5@ 32 x 62, Double Hung (oriole)
11@ 32 x 46, Double Hung
2@ 23 x 46, Double Hung with tempered glass bottom sash
1@ 32 x 38, Double Hung

Windows on Washington

Re: First Time Replacing Windows in House - Wood to Vinyl?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Expansion and Contraction is not an issue for well engineered vinyl. The Soft-Lite Imperial LS is well engineered.

Your local installer is not a materials engineer here in this case and the paints are incorporated with a photo rejection agents that can keep the surface temperatures down.

He is 0-2 on his prognostications with regards to pricing on the windows as well. His pricing on a vinyl window, quality, is more akin to 2009 pricing.

zill412

#3 Post by zill412 »

Thank you so very much, Windows on Washington! I appreciate it and feel much better now.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

That one contractor probably would of been 0-5 on his prognostications had he not stopped talking.
Agree with the guy above regarding well engineered vinyl and the Soft Lite window.
What was the cost for the soft lite option?

zill412

#5 Post by zill412 »

Initially, the Softlite option was $42K and some change. When I asked about paying more upfront and financing less, I was able to get the price reduced down to $34K and some change.

I got quotes for wood windows about 4 years ago and they were all over $70K so based on everything I have read about these Softlite windows, I feel better about going with them.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Normally I would say your pricing was high, but the fact that they are both painted and with an interior laminate...that is an expensive window.

zill412

#7 Post by zill412 »

Thank you. The cheapest quote I have received out of 6 quotes thus far was Window World at $27,8xx. After learning more about their windows, I ruled them out. The exterior color and interior laminate seem to be driving the cost up at most places by $8K - $15K.

I priced out painting all of my interior trim, doors, molding and painting the outside of the house in case I wanted to go with white windows, but that was more than the high range of the increased window cost due to color options for the windows. And I like the interior wood look/stain on my trim, doors, etc.
Last edited by zill412 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like you are on the right track, I agree with the sentiments of the other pros...

And in comparison to WW, that SL price is a no-brainer.

zill412

#9 Post by zill412 »

Coming back with an update from the first contractor who has recommended wood windows. They recommended the Pella Lifestyle window and noted that their quote would include removing all interior trim around the window and replacing it so they would include the name of their person to contact for pricing about staining to match my current trim color.

They noted that this would be a full replacement and is much better than the vinyl options I have been looking at due to the fact that it would result in more energy efficiency vs the vinyl windows being secured to the existing frames.

I have not yet got a quote from this contractor but am anticipating that it will be significantly more than the vinyl window options I have looked at (ranging from $27 to 34K with option I am leaning towards, the Soft Lite Imperial LS being at the top end due to the bronze exterior and wood laminate interior upgrades). They also noted they would send a quote for vinyl Pella 250 series windows but they try not to replace wood windows with vinyl due to loss of glass.

I am very cautious of Pella windows even though they are "known" for their wood windows. I am going to do some searches here now to learn more about the Pella 250 and the Lifestyle series but thought I would give an update. I will update with pricing when I get these quotes.

Thanks again for all of your help.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Just about everything about that option is awful, mostly the misinformation given regarding what would be "more efficient".

Is a full frame installation more comprehensive? Yes... however if the original frame was insulated around the perimeter as most are, there will be a negligible difference in energy efficiency based on the install -- certainly not enough to compensate for the precipitous drop in performance from the softlite down to anything offered by Pella.

The best practice would be to break out the product and the installation style as two separate items so that you can compare apples to apples. A vinyl window with pocket install compared to a wood window with full frame install is comparing apples to kumquats...

...More specifically, decide on whether you think a full frame installation is necessary and/or worth the sizable added expense independent of the product considered. Similarly, decide which product best fits your needs and goals independent of the installation type.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pella DH units are not the most homeowner friendly to tilt for cleaning. Compression jamb liners on the lower series like the Lifestyle and very awkward behind the lock sash top rail hidden actuator hooks to engage for tilting on the flagship series.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yeah. I don't, generally, like to say that folks are full of it...but...HomeSealed is spot on.