Nashville TN- Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Nashville1957

Re: Nashville TN- Windows

#16 Post by Nashville1957 »

They did not cap behind the storm windows. Why would they? So install from outside with new exterior trim and capping would be a good idea, pocket install, keep the interior trim, and go from there?

Good to know the prices are reasonable, or even really good if full frame.

I do like the dealer. They have good ratings and reviews. Mind you, it's the only dealer in my area, and they only carry eco pro and starmark. They are a little slow to communicate. But i've only been talking to them for a week now, so maybe two phone calls is not so bad.

I'm sold on the okna product. I just need to nail down the installation details and find more room in my wallet. Is the $300 upgrade per window for starmark well worth it? Or would I be very happy in the eco pro? Half of my windows I don't even open.

I'm still talking to Zen about other windows. They're the soft-lite dealer in town but have switched to provia. He even opened a new account with the building supply house to offer me sash packs or windsor windows because i asked. Nice guy and well reviewed, I'm just not sure if he has the product I want.

I'm definitely trying to avoid more sales pitches.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This is a personal comment. I would use the Okna 600/6600DX.
Sounds like I should open a division in Nashville.
theWindowNerd.com

Nashville1957

#18 Post by Nashville1957 »

WindowNerd, maybe you should open a division down here. WindowWorks of Nashville is the only Okna dealer here. And they serve Nashville, Knoxville, and Chatanooga TN. Okna actually found them because they needed representation in the market and are selective of who can install their products.

Final quotes are in.

Okna Eco Pro 600 -pocket install- $1300 per window
Starmark Evo -pocket install- $1600 per window

Okna Eco Pro 600 -full extraction with NEW TRIM INSTALLED and factory Jamb Extension- $1720 per window
Starmark Evo -full extraction with NEW TRIM INSTALLED and factory Jamb Extension- $2110 per window

I'm leaning toward the Eco Pro 600 myself, with the full extraction. And let's not forget to ask about lead abatement -$100 per opening.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

RRP is not lead abatement. It is lead safe wok and protocols required by the EPA. We all hate it.
My partner just changed ours to $150 per window.

Good choice.
theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes the Starmark is worth the premium. That doesn't mean that it has to be your choice here, but it's a truly outstanding window.

Earlier you said that Okna 600's with a pocket install will gain you 1" in viewable area due to the current storms. Unless your current windows are very small, and/or have water leakage or substantial frame rot, I'd say that EVO package with pocket install looks pretty compelling.

- EVO has an even slimmer frame for more viewable area
- better window
- lower price (compared to the 600 / full frame)
- install won't disturb the interior trim that you mentioned that you like, whereas the other option replaces it.

When was the house built? That can add or subtract a little emphasis on the full frame vs pocket conversation.

Nashville1957

#21 Post by Nashville1957 »

The home was built in 1957. It’s a ranch. We live in a normal neighbourhood where aesthetics is not a concern. I attached some photos. Most of the windows are pretty big. The storms and capping has done its job. We’re not worried about rot. It’d be the perfect scenario for pockets.

That being said, for me know the window could be bigger, I think I’d always have wanted it to be as big as possible. For my wife, the more they rip out that may have lead, and we don’t have to deal with, the better and safer. How worried about lead should I be? Is a pocket install safe to seal the hypothetical lead in?
IMG_8966.jpeg
IMG_8969.jpeg
IMG_8968.jpeg
IMG_8976.jpeg

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

Encapsulation, i.e. under the exterior coil, is more than safe application.

Ricknez

#23 Post by Ricknez »

I would not be worried about lead. You lived in the home how long and didnt get lead poisoning ??? When you remove a window, there really isnt alot of dust, its an over stated concern in my view for the government to of made money. Every time you open and close a door you could conceivably cause lead dust but it really doesnt. The aluminum will encapsulate any lead on the sill. If you sanded down all your walls, that can cause lead dust but a windiow install is very minimal. Ive been doing this for years and have no health issues due to lead and that isnt due to good luck.
After world war 2 the amount of lead paint decreased quite a bit and was mostly used on the esterior on expensive homes. My home was built in 1959 and Ive been here for 40 years with kids and guess what? We are all fine.

toddinmn

#24 Post by toddinmn »

The aluminum and window insert would be a method. Of “enclosure” and is considered a permanent form of abatement by HUD.
We’re the windows tested for lead or presumed to be positive?

Nashville1957

#25 Post by Nashville1957 »

Presumed positive but proper testing will be done. Either way, I like the look and idea of a full extraction better. Now I just need to decided between Eco Pro and Starmark. They both look good, each in different ways.

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

What year is the home?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lead+test+kit

Being pre-1978 does NOT mean it's lead containing paint.

Nashville1957

#27 Post by Nashville1957 »

1957. The installing company will test for lead. And they'll only charge/ do the lead protocol if its positive. I'm not worried about the lead.

I want the Starmark. It looks better from the inside. I think the ECO PRO looks better on the outside. But who stares at the outside of your house all day?

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing my glass could be larger if I opted for a pocket install over a full extraction. But maybe that's just me.

It's just borrowed money that I'll repay over the next 6+ years (at 9.25% interest... gross!), right?

toddinmn

#28 Post by toddinmn »

Nashville1957 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm 1957. The installing company will test for lead. And they'll only charge/ do the lead protocol if its positive. I'm not worried about the lead.

I want the Starmark. It looks better from the inside. I think the ECO PRO looks better on the outside. But who stares at the outside of your house all day?

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing my glass could be larger if I opted for a pocket install over a full extraction. But maybe that's just me.

It's just borrowed money that I'll repay over the next 6+ years (at 9.25% interest... gross!), right?
In that case get the Starmark with removing the old frames.

Nashville1957

#29 Post by Nashville1957 »

Thanks again everyone for your helpful advise and opinions. I decided to sign my contract today for the ECO PRO 600 in a pocket install. The installer's photos of their previous work really sold me. The visual differences are minimal. And the dollar difference was high. And I get to keep the trim I like. And I really like the ECO PRO. And it fits my neighborhood.

Anyways, in 8-10 weeks i'll have pictures and updates. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#30 Post by Windows on Washington »

Roger that.

Echoing what I said before. While the full tear out will technically give you more glass, the site-lines and openness without the storms on there will make the windows feel LARGER.

I think you will be thrilled with them.