United 200 series comparable to OKNA 500 or 800 series

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bluefish

United 200 series comparable to OKNA 500 or 800 series

#1 Post by bluefish »

Just find out that many windows at my home need to be replaced and I have tons of questions.

Most of my windows are double hung, wood windows put in by the builder about <30 years old.

1. How United 200 series comparable to OKNA 500 or 800 series?
Untied 200 is offered by Lowes. Its composite, is composite better than vinyl?

2. The installation is more expensive than the windows, the mid ranges windows could be cost around $400, but installation $600-700 per window. installation by home depot vs Lowes vs other local companies, which is a better choice.

3. Commercial installation all are "replacement windows", not "new construction"? It seemed that it will lost a significant glass area

4. Low-E glass is the way to go? I am thinking to have windows without them, not for the cost, but they add some blue hue to the glass, not colorless natural light.

5. LIfe time warranty for parts and labors, what it really covers, meaning if the parts failed, the window company covers parts and the labor to replace them?

Ricknez

Re: United 200 series comparable to OKNA 500 or 800 series

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The United 200 is not a true composite and its not well designed. The Okna 500 is a much better product. You will not lose a lot of glass with replacement and you definitely want LowE. Ive seen the Okna product’s lowE glass quite a few times and its not dark or blue. What was the price difference between the two?
Where are you located?

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

That United product is a mess, period. I've never seen so much exposed poly fiber weatherstripping exposed into the jambs on a window ever. I would never consider box store subs for the installation of doors and windows as for every decent crew that they send out, they have 10x as many butchers. United is a NJ based manufacturer as I know them pretty well and they make their bones with lower grade products based upon price. I did my trade school apprenticeship right down the street from them. Stick with OKNA if you can.

bluefish

#4 Post by bluefish »

Thank you guys! United is about $380-400; pella 250 is $300 more, I have not quote for DKNA, since the window companies are all closed for the week till Monday, I heard about DKNA from a friend, who installed them in the summer, the cost then was a little over $400. I am at upstate NY.

Box store, you mean like home depot?

I don't know the cost of DKNA 800, share I chose 800 over 500? I will ask for the price for both tomorrow. On DKNA website, 800 only have replacement window. 500 has both replacement and new construction.

Most window companies only do replacement windows? If I could find a constructor to replace the window, is that a reasonable choice? Some companies have transferrable labor warranty as well. If the job is done well, perhaps there will be no chance for the labor warranty, I hope.

bluefish

#5 Post by bluefish »

Ricknez wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:09 am The United 200 is not a true composite and its not well designed. The Okna 500 is a much better product. You will not lose a lot of glass with replacement and you definitely want LowE. Ive seen the Okna product’s lowE glass quite a few times and its not dark or blue. What was the price difference between the two?
Where are you located?
Thank you guys! United (distinct) is about $380-400; pella 250 is $300 more, I have not quote for DKNA, since the window companies are all closed for the week till Monday, I heard about DKNA from a friend, who installed them in the summer, the cost then was a little over $400. I am at upstate NY

bluefish

#6 Post by bluefish »

Box store, you mean like home depot?

I don't know the cost of DKNA 800, share I chose 800 over 500? I will ask for the price for both tomorrow. On DKNA website, 800 only have replacement window. 500 has both replacement and new construction.

Most window companies only do replacement windows? If I could find a constructor to replace the window, is that a reasonable choice? Some companies have transferrable labor warranty as well. If the job is done well, perhaps there will be no chance for the labor warranty, I hope.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd get away from looking at window and installation costs separately as most professional companies are going to offer a combined price.

To answer your questions:

1) Composite and Vinyl have different properties, and composites in and of themselves have several variations of material content. In this particular comparison, the Okna vinyl windows are better.

2) Again, I'd compare pricing for fully installed units. I will agree with the other pros that box stores (the big hardware store chains) are one of the worst ways to source windows/installation. They generally carry lower priced (and quality) products and in my experience they pay their installers far under the "going rate". This all makes for an attractive price, however it's for a subpar product and possibly even worse installation... Quality installers are in high demand these days and they command top dollar. Translation: they don't work at lows and hd.

3) This is dependent on circumstances including the design of the original unit, the new unit, and the details of the install. In some cases little to no glass area is lost in a "replacement" install, where other times a measurable amount could be. Also note that MOST windows can be ordered/installed as replacement OR full frame/new construction. It has more to do with the sizing, and then adding details like nail fins and jamb extensions... In short, pick the window that you want, pick the installation that you want, and it's almost certain that the two will be compatible.

4) Low-e is a must these days. There are various types and I'd be careful not to get a profile that is not ideal for your climate (ie: some heavy coatings are more appropriate for warmer regions and will affect the natural light more profoundly).

5) Generally the manufacturer provides any defective parts under warranty. An installation company that offers a workmanship warranty will cover any defects in the installation portion. Labor to install replacement parts can sometimes be lost in the shuffle, so that is something to check on, whether it is included or not.