Input wanted on proposed fix for improperly installed windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Input wanted on proposed fix for improperly installed windows

#16 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Your willingness to pay extra for the extra work definitely has merit. The tape should also go around the entire window perimeter with proper overlapping….. another less expensive and effective option would be to add another row of flashing tape or house wrap under the flange and properly overlapped to connect the window flange to the roof flashing if that’s your desire. You may find that if they don’t normally do roofing they may not be willing replace the flashing at all.

The fact that the project was done a few years ago and they are still coming out to address it shows, you originally chose the right company for your project. I see to many times in this business of companies who try to wash there hands years later and refuse to put anymore of there labor or money into the project. Although I’m sure it’s frustrating I would try to work with them as best as possible to get a resolution before escalating things. Voice your concerns to the owner or as high up as possible but your list of instructions and your approval of every step of every window does seem excessive to me and would severely hamper productivity or even the attitudes of the installers. People generally like to help people who are kind and friendly and no one especially contractors want to be told how to do their jobs. In my experience every contractor thinks they are the very best contractor, even the hacks.

TinyCat

#17 Post by TinyCat »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:09 pm Your willingness to pay extra for the extra work definitely has merit. The tape should also go around the entire window perimeter with proper overlapping….. another less expensive and effective option would be to add another row of flashing tape or house wrap under the flange and properly overlapped to connect the window flange to the roof flashing if that’s your desire. You may find that if they don’t normally do roofing they may not be willing replace the flashing at all.

The fact that the project was done a few years ago and they are still coming out to address it shows, you originally chose the right company for your project. I see to many times in this business of companies who try to wash there hands years later and refuse to put anymore of there labor or money into the project. Although I’m sure it’s frustrating I would try to work with them as best as possible to get a resolution before escalating things. Voice your concerns to the owner or as high up as possible but your list of instructions and your approval of every step of every window does seem excessive to me and would severely hamper productivity or even the attitudes of the installers. People generally like to help people who are kind and friendly and no one especially contractors want to be told how to do their jobs. In my experience every contractor thinks they are the very best contractor, even the hacks.
I appreciate the feedback and understand my step by step guide is a bit nitpicky and obtuse (I planed to soften it in conversation and frame it as generally this is what I think needs to be done and see how they respond). Conversations with the higher ups have been civil and again they are working with me. I’ve not blasted them on social media or via Google reviews as if they fix it it’s all water under the bridge. In fact, if they do it right I would write a glowing review as contractors standing by their work is a rarity. I agree the fact that they’re even showing up to address the issues is a huge plus to their morals. However, work they’ve done as a fix hasn’t been acceptable (and in some cases was worse in the case of them sealing off the water egress point) so I felt it was warranted to have it laid out in the event that it’s needed. The stress of this happening 3 weeks before my daughter’s due date and one of the impacted windows being in her room haven’t helped that. I’ve also conveyed to them that if there are better options out there we’ll happily pay. Ultimately, we just want it fixed right and are willing to pay to make sure that occurs (heck, I even said that if we needed to get them to replace the roof to come up with a better fix we’d do it as ours is 18 years old and likely won’t make it out of 2024). They do roofing regularly so I don’t believe the roof flashing replacement would be an issue but I wanted to get an experts take on it. I appreciate the insight on my plan and that it has merit.

If I came off as unreasonable I apologize as that wasn’t my intent. I just want our home to be safe and healthy for our little one. With housing prices the way they are we need to make ours last.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

If the only point of water entry is at that roof to wall interface under the windows, it's really more of a roof flashing issue than a window issue. If that was installed properly, water that entered behind the window trim through failed caulk would have been directed right back our when it hit the flashing. Admittedly it's a bit muddier with the fact that there is no siding between the window and roof, so it is something that probably should have been addressed at the time of window install since they proceeded to cover over that area.

I'd run a couple layers of flashing tape starting on the rough sill (as a sill pan) until it gets to the roof flashing where it would go over it and seal to the wall. You could run metal all the way into the RO as well instead, but that isn't very conventional and not a better solution IMO. It would also add some funky seams. Personally, I'd remove the entire first course of siding and make sure that roof to wall flashing is taped to the wall and lapped under the housewrap. It may be one or neither currently.

Overall, as WDC mentioned, things look mostly as they should from what you've posted. Even without tape on all four sides, you do have a drip cap over each window, and combined with back-caulked nail fins and the exterior level sealing, they should be leak free. Is flashing tape advisable? Certainly. Kudos to the installer for their willingness to add.

Lastly, despite your frustration I'd definitely exercise some restraint on the letter/list if you can. There is some component of "gray area" here, it better to continue to work together in good faith toward common goal. If anything, try to get someone higher up in the company out there to ensure that it's handled correctly and completely at the next visit.