Install type for Stucco home in Arizona

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
km_AZ

Install type for Stucco home in Arizona

#1 Post by km_AZ »

Hello,
I am in the process of getting windows replaced in Arizona. Current Windows are builder-grade Aluminium from 1995.
I am going to get Vinyl.

1st Question:
Is Retro install ok? Where they leave the Metal frame in, and insert the new window into this?
This is what most companies offer- but don't warranty the caulking.

Another option I was given is they cut out the old window with a diamond blade, but not damage the stucco.The new install looks more like the original window. Another company told me this was a bad way to install as the weather strip gets damaged.

Which would be the preferred install method?
I am not looking at a construction-type install where the stucco is demoed/repaired and a new construction-type install done- and nobody has offered this.

2nd Question:
Milgard vs Simonton vs Anlin.
The Anlin companies really talk up their product. Is it worth 10-25% more?

Any advice from the PRO community is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Windows on Washington

Re: Install type for Stucco home in Arizona

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Frame jumps are fine if you are okay with the offset if glass. That is the most seamless and damage mitigating strategy in my opinion.

If you don't have any stucco/wall leaks now, you won't with that option. When you remove that frame, you do introduce some possible issues.

km_AZ

#3 Post by km_AZ »

Thank you, I really appreciate the response!
I mostly have large windows, 96 x 60, 48 x 48, 36 x 60 & 48 x 48 so I am not too concerned with the offset- damage mitigating is more important.

What is your take on Simonton daylight max windows- ok or better to avoid? Would you regard Milguard or Anlin as better windows from your experience or what you have seen online?

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The cut back of the stucco requires more precision and time Both will work . Leaving frame in is more reliant on caulking and not warranting it is a little problematic. I prefer the cutback solution depending on the details. If was my home. I’d cut it back, as a contractor I stay away cause it is to time consuming , I don’t Like cutting stucco .

km_AZ

#5 Post by km_AZ »

Thanks!