Brands to consider for Denver Colorado

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Brands to consider for Denver Colorado

#16 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I believe there is a company near you Blue Bird windows that offers Anlin and Sunrise. Might be worthwhile to check out

charlatan

#17 Post by charlatan »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:21 pm I believe there is a company near you Blue Bird windows that offers Anlin and Sunrise. Might be worthwhile to check out
In fact there is! I actually reached out to them yesterday. In even more surprising (and possibly better news for me), I've found a company that deals with a TON of Alpin windows. A quote is forthcoming for the Zenith 6 :).
Their Tyrol line is super amazing, but just looking at it I know it's waaay out of my price range.

I am going to dive into the Anlin brand to see what my options are. I'll take any recommendations from the hive-mind here :D

charlatan

#18 Post by charlatan »

Update.

I've decided I am doing all casement and a couple of awnings. We have 19 openings / 22 windows. First floor is brick, second floor is siding. I am hearing I don't save a ton between single hung and casement, so why compromise?

It looks like the favorites in the clubhouse are;

Fiberglass -
- Infinity by Marvin (OP - see note below on high altitude)
- Alpen Zenith 6
- Kolby Forgent

Vinyl
- Anlin Coronado
- Milgard (everyone I asked "doesn't sell Milgard anymore") When I look at their site it's mostly lumber yards here in Denver?
- Sierra Pacific? - I got a referral from a friend who does Anlin and SP. Anything to look at there?

I met with a local company who only sells Marvin Infinity windows. No pressure sales and they we went into great detail about the install process (new construction style anywhere we have siding). Their installers are all employed by the company, so no contract stuff. They have a great reputation in Denver, so I trust their process.
They also said that infinity are made in the Dakotas (can recall which atm) and that they pressurize the glass assembly for altitude as they solder it closed. No capillaries or other what not. I haven't confirmed this on my own... yet.

Two of the folks I talked to really downplayed Milgard as an option. Maybe I need to keep it in the running for Vinyl to balance things out?

edit: added note on Marvin high altitude.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

Marvin, while pretty, probably doesn't belong on the playing field with other high end, more specifically high performance, fiberglass. That said, these are casements so the point is mostly moot.

charlatan

#20 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:12 am Marvin, while pretty, probably doesn't belong on the playing field with other high end, more specifically high performance, fiberglass. That said, these are casements so the point is mostly moot.
Thanks again WoW. Since these are casements, which number is that going to improve the most? Is it air infiltration? If so, do I bother with finding the number?
I am really trying my best to do an apples to apples comparison.

I am looking at the NFRC database for the windows in my list, and the Marvin's don't seem to have any numbers for air leakage.
The Anlin numbers are pretty impressive so far...

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Correct.

If I am going to be spending an amount of money that is more than a vacation, I would definitely look at the performance data. Can't hurt.

charlatan

#22 Post by charlatan »

Here are some numbers I've gathered.
Kolby Forgent - Low e 270 crank-out double pane argon glastra clear no lami - (U .22 SHGC .19 VT .45 CR 49 airi .3)
Alpen - Zenith 6 alpenglass balance Suspended film - (U .19 SHGC .24 VT .38 CR 67 airi .02)
Marvin infinity - U .27 SHGC .2 VT .45 CR 41 airi .2x

Wow... the Kolby Forgent is actually worse than the Marvin Infinity for air infiltration?!

I am super bummed about Marvin being sneaky with numbers too. I may call them to confirm the numbers for their casement. I have downloaded the appropriate data from the NFRC, but I am struggling to filter down the options to just a few.
We have very windy spring seasons here in Colorado and I am very concerned about these numbers (but for Alpen).

WindowsDirectCinci

#23 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The Kolby air leakage numbers are most likely just reported as a pass/fail of less than .30 Some manufacturers don't publish air leakage numbers which seams to be the case here

charlatan

#24 Post by charlatan »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 pm The Kolby air leakage numbers are most likely just reported as a pass/fail of less than .30 Some manufacturers don't publish air leakage numbers which seams to be the case here
Thanks for the info. I sent them a request for the exact number... I'll see what I get.
I also scheduled a visit from one more place that sells the MI (Sunrise series). I am going to see if they can get the Vanguard or Restoration series.
I've pretty much dismissed the Marvin Infinity due to the performance (especially the ai number, or lack thereof.) I am disappointed because they really seem to have their act together otherwise.

charlatan

#25 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:12 am Marvin, while pretty, probably doesn't belong on the playing field with other high end, more specifically high performance, fiberglass. That said, these are casements so the point is mostly moot.
Here's the latest. All casement windows. 19 openings, 22 windows.

Fiberglass (Quotes included installing the "right way" for 9 windows in siding.)
- Alpen 625. The quote I got is prohibitively expensive. Would love to but can't do it (lets just say it's above 40k).
- Kolbe Forgent - By comparison, the Kolby quote I got was reasonable. Just under 30k, so it's doable for us.
- Marvin Infinity - I have the quote but I don't think it's going to matter. Performance isn't there.

Vinyl (Quotes included installing the "right way" for 9 windows in siding.)
- Anlin - decent price, just under 25k. I need to look closer at their numbers vs the Kolbe
- Sunrise Restoration (MI) - Oof. Quote came back at ~ 37k.

So... it's really down to the Kolbe vs the Sunrise Resto.
It's very surprsing to me that the Kolbe quote is lower than the Sunrise...
The specs.

Kolbe Forgent quote - Solar control Low-E
U = 26, SHGC=19, VT=44, CR=62 - No report on AI so <.3

Sunrise Restoration - Low E 366
U = .27, SHGC=.21, VT=.48, CR=44 - AI .01

I haven't seen either window in a showroom. That's next. Am I rolling the dice with Kolbe? Ugh... the AI number. Everything else looks better to me with the Forgent.

We have an East / West facing house, and the summer sun bakes those areas of the home morning and eve. Should I go higher on the SHGC?

EDIT - added the Sunrise info (quote pending)
EDIT2 - more pricing

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

So what do you like better about the Fogent? The look, feel, etc.?

charlatan

#27 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:34 am So what do you like better about the Fogent? The look, feel, etc.?
If I am completely honest, it's the look and the price. Plus, if I change colors, it'll still be cheaper with Kolbe.
I do need to go "use" both in their respective showrooms, but the forgents just look cleaner.

If I remove those two factors, the sunrise is a slam dunk.
Warranty - Kolbe's is 10yr frame and 20yr glass. The Restorations window is double lifetime.
Reviews - Forgents are too new to have any.

Windows on Washington

#28 Post by Windows on Washington »

No reason that a fiberglass frame, built by a well regarded company, should fail here in 10 years. That is mostly borrowed from their wood warranty.

charlatan

#29 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 pm No reason that a fiberglass frame, built by a well regarded company, should fail here in 10 years. That is mostly borrowed from their wood warranty.
It's interesting you say that. I had been regarding warranty as a big part of this selection process, but I've had some others tell me the same thing (including the guy selling them).

I am going to go check out the Kolbe's this weekend.

charlatan

#30 Post by charlatan »

Update on the Kolbe windows and pricing.
I inquired with Kolbe about their tested AI performance for the casement windows.
They replied and provided the third party test data sheet for the forgent casement - .030 cfm/ft^2,

Good news there!

Additionally, in researching my installers and pricing, I've found (not surprisingly) that I can save a bit of money if I order the windows myself and hire an installer to take care of the hard part.

I've looked through and contacted installers listed in my area on the installationmasters website, and have narrowed it down to a couple of installers with good reviews.

Basically everyone except the Marvin Infinity installer said that the nail fin install method is not necessary (for those windows in siding). Should I be concerned if the installer uses the "screw in" method?