New Window type for Shower?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ChoicesChoices

New Window type for Shower?

#1 Post by ChoicesChoices »

Hi!

We are remodeling 2 bathrooms in our home on the east coast and would like to add windows to them, both for ventilation and natural light. Both windows will be in the shower area due to the layout.
I'd love to hear your input on what we should keep an eye out for and recommendations for certain products we should look at?
We've gotten quotes for a Vinyl and Fiberglass option, details are below. Are these a good suggestion or should we consider anything else?
  • The exterior wall is Cedar Plank siding over a 2x4 wall.
  • Bathroom 1 will have an Awning window high over the tub, around 42" wide by 16" high (Obscured)
  • Bathroom 2 will have a casement window in the shower (not in a high spray area), about 36"w by 48"h (Clear)
  • Wood is out of the question, obviously.
  • These will be tempered due to being in wet areas.
Vinyl quote: CRYSTAL Windows, $1200 for both, U=0.26, SHGC=.031 VT=0.46.
They are a small factory near us.
Fiberglass: Marvin Essential, $1300 for both, U=0.29, SHGC=.029 VT=0.49

The performance seems similar, and the Marvin Essential definitely looks nicer, but I'm wondering which one will fare better in a shower long term?
The Marvin has a 3 week longer lead time but I'd wait if it was worth it.
Marvin has color choices for free, but we're doing white so it should not matter much

Thanks for your input!!

Windows on Washington

Re: New Window type for Shower?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both, assuming them are installed in openings to provide for positive pitch away and basic moisture management strategies, will do fine in that application.

Welded vinyl is about as inert as you can get with water...but fiberglass is right behind that. It is what we make boat hulls out of so...there's that.

ChoicesChoices

#3 Post by ChoicesChoices »

Thanks!

I wonder if a double hung or slider window would do better or worse in a wet environment like this as they seem significantly cheaper than casement, unless I’m misreading Home Depot as a reference for pricing.
Why are casement more expensive than hung? Is it style or substance?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mechanism costs.

Slider is probably you least troublesome potential.