Okna Starmark Evo Gut Check

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
throwawayoknaguy

Okna Starmark Evo Gut Check

#1 Post by throwawayoknaguy »

Hi all,

Last year I had 10 starkmark evo dp with sdl grids and full frame tear out installed for 17k. Seemed high but loved the window and the install was somewhat complicated and the dealer has excellent reviews so we went with it. Very satisfied despite premium price.

Fast forward and we are considering replacing the remainder. Getting a quote from our dealer for right around 2k per opening despite opting for pocket install in block/brick construction.

Salesperson says Okna has had two price hikes in the last year and has another planned for spring. Has Okna priced us out and we need to look for a different window?

We had some provia aspects quoted at $900/opening but the quality isnt there, so not sure where to go from here.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna Starmark Evo Gut Check

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There certainly have been price increases and perhaps your just seeing a few that were "stacked" up that came to fruition. If anything, Okna was slower about rolling them out but I do know that the composite material of the EVO, given that it is more materially sensitive by mass, has felt more of those raw and supply chain material increases.

Without knowing what/how they charged for those different installs, it's tough to say what of that is due to product and what is do to other factors. In our business, the material price differences are only a part of the puzzle. Insurances and labor costs are up considerably over that same time period and margins are down.

To be frank, a roughly 20% differential is not unexpected if the vendor wasn't on the very tip of the pricing curve. Several of those pricing increases and cost of business increases could have hit around the same time window and the days, sadly, of prices staying the same year over year are long gone in this economy.

I would hate to mix windows on a given project and perhaps you can talk to the contractor to see if they can help soften the differential, but at $2,000 per opening, that is still well in the "normal" range for that product and below most.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Fair pricing on that window.

I'd agree with WoW, talk to the dealer about your concerns and see if perhaps they can work with you. I'm sure that the last thing they want is to lose you as a customer.

Obviously they won't be able to match two year old pricing as we've all experienced significant inflation in that period without regard to product or industry, but maybe they can do enough to make it a little more palatable for your budget.

throwawayoknaguy

#4 Post by throwawayoknaguy »

Hi all, thank you for your responses.

I've just gotten a quote for Sunrise Restorations which seem to be a relatively comparable product. The price is about $8,000, or $1,000 per opening.

That strikes me as a dramatically more cost effective option vs. the starmark evo, for what is a similarly performing window.

What am I missing here on why this window is half the price of the Evo?

Thanks again for any input.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Different window construction and performance. Don't get me wrong, the Restorations is MI's flagship product, but it doesn't have material construction, performance, and look of the Evo.

Did you attempt to go back to the previous dealer? Any feedback from them?

You are not comparing apples to apples here to be certain, but maybe they can get you closer to your old price. Show them the other bids and see what they are willing to do.

The Restorations is a nice vinyl product, but it is definitely not on the level with the EVO.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Starmark is just built differently than any other window out there with solid construction. I'm not sure if 2x the price justification is there though. I'll also add that the Restorations price doesn't seem right and seems low for that product

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feedback above, these windows aren't really apples to apples.

The Restorations price seems awfully low for that product even in a pocket install. If you are talking full frames I'd actually say that its concerning. Make sure that the installation details are the same. "Full frame" is an extraordinarily broad term that can describe the most comprehensive type of installation available (new nail fins, flashing tape, sill pan, head flashing, new interior woodwork, etc), and also describe the most basic, least comprehensive type of install IMO which is commonly called "express" and often relies on only caulk for its seal... Then there are multiple variations in between. I have a feeling that something besides just the product is not "apples to apples".

As far as product performance, the EVO and Restorations aren't all that close. There will be few points difference in U value when comparable glass is used, the AI rating is less than half of the Restorations (DH) based on the new info MI has on their website, and then as far as DP, there is an extraordinary difference based on the strength of the composite frame.

A better comp for the Restorations would be the Okna 800 and/or 600.

Long and short here, the Restorations is a good window (particularly the casement), just not a great match and not apples to apples.