Heat Mirror

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowmann2000

#31 Post by windowmann2000 »

Usually anything window4u and fenex says becomes gospel to me. Sometimes I have to disagree so as to not become a ditto head. This forum may someday die (but I doubt it) but don't despair there well be many more and I wouldn't doubt that window4u probably gets leads from this source. I don't know that for a fact, maybe he could tell us. I know that I'm on their list but too far down to get anything yet. The owners of this site have put a lot of effort into making this the number one source of window info on the net.........applause applause, and they deserve it but you'd have to be pretty naive to believe they do it for fun. If you ask for a quote they well refer you to a network of dealers they have set up probably coast to coast and they recieve some kind of money in return. That's fair, good for them they beat me to it. I'm going to add to that they must be selective and have a pretty good network of dealers because I have seen only one complaint in the three years I have actively been on this site referring to a dealer they reccomended. Gotta take my hat off for them I wish I had just one complaint every three years.

WindDoze

#32 Post by WindDoze »

Window4U (IL) wrote:The owners sponsor these forums by providing a window contractor referral service.

I would suggest people here use the "request a quote" service located in the top right hand corner for one of the bids they get.. It would be a nice way to thank the owners for providing these sites that are a wealth of information to us all.

It costs the homeowner nothing to request the quote and you are hooked up with a local window professional.
I wonder how many people here actually know the request a quote service exists on the site? I would think more would use it if they searched deeper into the site, past the discussion boards. Agreed, it would be great if more people would use the request a quote service and support this site. Its free folks!

chrisexv6

#33 Post by chrisexv6 »

I used it, I was actually looking forward to getting the quote because I figured if its associated with this site, it has to be good!

It didnt pan out in my case, but I would hope there are other people that used it and went ahead with their quote. Youd figure if that never happened, they wouldnt still offer the free quote service here :)

-Chris

2ndround

Hurd and heat mirror

#34 Post by 2ndround »

I have a sun room put in by Four Seasons about 15 years ago in a sunny location. They did the demo for Heat Mirror and we put them in. The room has a lot of glass in fact it is almost all glass on three sides with four skylight as well.

There are 12 heat mirror windows, I cannot remember whether the skylights were heat mirror.

We have never had a problem and my guess is that the heating and cooling bills would kill me without the better glass.

I am now building another home in Montana and have been looking into windows and leaning toward the heat mirror.

I am just guessing but I think some of the early failures may have been resolved by better installation and possibly improved seal materials.

The plastic is polyester sputtered with silver for the e-glass effect. Polyester can slowly degrade depending on the clarity of it due to sunlight.

In the inert atmosphere in the interior of the glass and with the e coating both of which vastly reduce UV, the polyester should have a very long life.

For a reasonable price like plus 100$ per window I will go this way again.

Energy prices are steadily going up.

WindDoze

#35 Post by WindDoze »

Regarding Four Seasons and their past use of heat mirror...they don't use it anymore, and haven't for about eight years now. You should consider yourself lucky that you haven't had problems, because Four Seasons has had a lot of them. They've had the same wrinkling, curling and discoloration problems documented above. I am a Four Seasons dealer, and have reglazed several of the older Four Seasons rooms, with their new glass product...MC Wonderglass. (They've actually changed the name to Conservaglass in the last few months, but its hard to change my own vernacular.)

Four Seasons' glass now is a multi coated product that gets the same solar control as heat mirror, so their rooms don't get overheated in the summertime. Because it is also an insulated glass with argon, the room will stay comfortably warm if heated in the winter.

windowmann2000

#36 Post by windowmann2000 »

2ndround is either a Heat Mirror rep or just plain lucky. Having been a dealer for both Hurd and Four Seasons I can't share any success stories with him.

Oberon

Off topic

#37 Post by Oberon »

Windoze,

You are a Schuco distributor in Minnesota?
Were you at the Mpls Home Show?

I only ask because Guy and you have mentioned there are two Schuco dealers in Minnesota and I had the chance to chat with folks at two Schuco distributor booths at the recent Minneapolis Home Show...

I was just curious if there was a chance that we may have chatted.

:?:

WindDoze

#38 Post by WindDoze »

Don't know if we chatted. I did have a booth at the Minneapolis Home Show. Of the two Schuco dealers, I had the larger booth...if that refreshes your memory. (I'm the one with Four Seasons Sunrooms as well.)

Do you live in MN, or were you just passing through? I'd really like to talk to you offline sometime. I've been really impressed and have learned a lot reading your posts.

Oberon

#39 Post by Oberon »

Thank you for the kind words. I have been planning to get to Mpls sometime when the weather is nice and visit with Guy for awhile...that is something I hope to do this spring or summer depending on how much I am travelling so who knows?

I don't live in Minnesota, but I was in Minneapolis specifically to visit the home show. And I know exactly which booth you mean. I did stop there and had a great chat with a couple of the folks working the show.

I visited several of the window companies exhibiting at the show - but not all - I didn't visit the companies that I really don't care for...I like visiting with folks that I believe do a good job. :wink:

Curious if you were involved in the sunroom "recall"...heck of a story there! Talk about reflective coatings!

Oberon

totally off topic

#40 Post by Oberon »

I also try to catch a few Twins games during the season (especially if Santana is pitching!).

I was in Mpls to see a Gopher hockey game - saw them lose to North Dakota...so they go 22-1-1 in their last 24 games and I get to see the only loss! Go figure!

WindDoze

#41 Post by WindDoze »

I hope my people represented themselves and our company well. :)

As for the recall...I've done a few jobs, am working on one right now. This is my third year with Four Seasons, so I didn't work with the old glass, but am learning on the fly about some of the prior technologies.

Next time you are in town, look me up.....As for Gopher hockey, are you an alum? Class of '93 here!

Oberon

#42 Post by Oberon »

Not an alum, but I did have a couple of HS classmates who played for Herb Brooks on two of his National Title teams...back in the 70's (dating myself). Been a fan of Gopher hockey ever since the 70's - and especially in 1980 - although technically that wasn't a "Gopher" team, just 12 Minnesotans :D

And I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with your folks. Thank you. They were very knowledgeable and professional - but they were also obviously enjoying themselves.

WindDoze

#43 Post by WindDoze »

Thanks for the positive reviews. :) It means a lot coming from someone with your reputation!

windowrx

#44 Post by windowrx »

I just found this board today and have found it very interesting and informative.
I felt I had to chime in here and report my own experience with Heat Mirror products. I too had a lot of experience with HM through my association with Four Seasons and Hurd. We were one of Four Seasons largest dealers in the late 80's/early 90's.
Heat Mirror's performance was easy to demonstrate with the various sales aids that were available (tunnel of heat, UV tank, etc) and we sold quite a bit of it. We were sorely disappointed however when the high incidence of seal failure became apparent. It put a serious strain on both manufacturers (and us!) as not only did they have to cover the huge number of warranty claims, they also both were heavily invested in the product by having dedicated glazing facilities for Heat Mirror.
Until I read this thread I thought that Heat Mirror had mostly gone away.

WindDoze

#45 Post by WindDoze »

Welcome to the board windowrx.