Vinyl Replacement Windows in STL

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JonnySTL

Vinyl Replacement Windows in STL

#1 Post by JonnySTL »

Tremendously helpful board here and have learned a lot not just about top vinyl replacement windows, but installation, spacers, window technology, etc. As many others that have joined and come here, I'm in the process of getting bids to replace a total of 18 windows in my home in St. Louis. The breakdown on windows is:

10 @ 35" x 69 1/2" double hung
6 @ 35" x 61" double hung
2 @ 48" x 44" sliders

Using this board and other resources, I narrowed down my search to the generally top rated manufactures and then cross-referenced with which dealers are in the STL area and have great reviews on Google, Angie's List, Facebook, BBB, whatever I could get my hands on.

House is about 25 years old with front brick and rest vinyl siding. About 10 of the windows face West / Southwest and we get a lot of heat coming in. In general looking at performance specs in the .25 - .30 U factor, .2 - .25 SHGC, >.4 VT, and around 60 for CR. Also, looking to keep AI to about .08 or lower. All of the bids below generally fall within these requirements:

- Provia Endure @ $11,000 (includes DLA-UV on all windows)
- Zen Nirvana @ $12,359 (includes Solar Low E upgrade)
- Zen Lotus (double pane) @ $13,421 (includes Solar Low E upgrade; I do like the look of Lotus from exterior than Nirvana)
- Sunrise Restorations @ $13,245 (includes Omega 12 glass pkg)
- Received Polaris Ultraweld & Thermalweld Plus bids, but they were about $5k-6K more than the above quotes. So, check that one off.
- Looked at Vinymax Newton as maybe a contendor, but came in at lower of quote range, but didn't think the performance specs were there without additional upgrading.

As for AI, seems Sunrise is the best at .02, followed by Endure at .05.

Did my homework on all installers and dealers and they are all reputable companies in business here for many years with great reviews. I like the Provia quote as it's from a locally owned / operated family run company here and have their own installers. Others, have dedicated contractors that seem to work for 2-3 dealers. I know that probably doesn't matter much, but it's another data point on the qualitative side.

I know which way I'm leaning, but wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!!

P.S. I will follow-up here through quote selection and post some before / after pics and planning to contribute where I can going forward. Not just a 1 and done!

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows in STL

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Restorations in this line up.

JonnySTL

#3 Post by JonnySTL »

One more thought is that we could be in this house 2 years or another 5-6 years. Granted someone could say, just use some cheaper mid-grade windows and save yourself a few bucks beyond what your quotes are. I would like to get some personal enjoyment out of the windows for the remaining years we are here, and would plan to use this as a selling point on the house that all the major stuff (windows, roof, HVAC, bathrooms) are replaced or updated within past 5 years. My thought was that the Endure could be that right in the sweet spot window. If we were going to be here 10 years or more, then I could see doing Restorations a lot easier.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cheap shows and while neither of the Zen options are "cheap", the Restorations is definitely nicer. Nicer for a future buyer as well. My math and decision tree still takes me to that one.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Restorations seems to be an easy choice here, that's a very aggressive price for that window.

JonnySTL

#6 Post by JonnySTL »

Thanks for the feedback so far. While I'm not sure I would exactly call the Endure or any of these windows cheap, they all seem to be a definite upgrade to many of the big box store replacement windows and mid-grade stuff out there I've done research on. I'm currently going through a final round of best pricing and looking to make a decision early next week.

JonnySTL

#7 Post by JonnySTL »

Quick question for the experts here. How important is single strength vs. doubles strength glass in dual pane double hung or slider windows? Just spent some time researching and get conflicting information. Looks like the Zen windows are double strength, the Endure is quoted as single strength, and trying to get confirmation on the Restorations. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Its preferable when it comes to overall PG of the window as well as noise attenuation.

Really not much of an up charge (if at all from some suppliers).

JonnySTL

#9 Post by JonnySTL »

I ended up going with the Provia Endure windows this afternoon. Owner of the company and my sales rep both came out to do final measurements, walk me through everything, and of course collect a down payment! I fully get that the Restorations is a better window, but after some negotiation, not sure if it's $2500 better. If we're staying here another 10 years, then, yeah, probably. With the upgrade to the Comfortech DLA-UV glass on the Endure, the performance ratings are pretty strong. Now, it's a waiting game of 6-8 weeks. Seems like Covid has delayed everything. Will take some current state pics over the next week and post up during and post as time progresses.

padawan65

#10 Post by padawan65 »

Quick question: was the 11k for 18 Provias including install? Trying to figure out if I am being ripped off over here.

JonnySTL

#11 Post by JonnySTL »

Yes, price includes windows, install, taxes, and haul away of old windows. I'm right at $600 / window.

JonnySTL

#12 Post by JonnySTL »

Been about 7 weeks since we put the deposit down on the windows and the dealer just reached out this afternoon and they're ready to start installing tomorrow! Guess this is the kind of stuff you get super stoked about as you get older :D

Will post up some before / install / after pics as well. Dealer's most experienced installer will be doing them.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are doing faster than we are then. We aren't getting stuff that quickly right now.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, and by far. 7 weeks is pretty good pre-covid, many companies are double that right now give or take as everyone is absolutely swamped. Manufacturers are lucky to turn product around in that amount of time as well, some of the biggest players are 10+ weeks on some products, and again, that is just the manufacturing of the windows, not including a measure, ordering, scheduling, and all of the other protocols that go into producing a successful project for a company that is more than a "one-man show".

JonnySTL

#15 Post by JonnySTL »

Very impressed so far with the install process and just the windows themselves. The installer got 6 of them done today, all upstairs where my kids bedrooms / distance learning room is. Wanted these done first before they come back here tomorrow. You could just tell this guy's been around the block a few times and knew his stuff.

I uploaded some before / during / after pics just of the top floor and before pics of the kitchen slider in the below Google drive. Hoping this works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eXUZPmTig5wRfQ9x9

Yep, looks like that will work. Will keep adding as the install progresses. Installer was very meticulous and very much a clean-up as you go type of guy. Seriously, outside of the gleaming new windows, couldn't even tell he was here.