Received Gorell 5100 quote...fair?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
swerve

Received Gorell 5100 quote...fair?

#1 Post by swerve »

I just ordered (20) windows from Regency Windows- Gorell 5100 with AC Master Low E glass. The total came to $7,000 out the door installed with capping the exterior. Hopefully it was a fair price. I'm a little dissappointed to find out that Gorell manufacture's higher end models (5200 &5300). The salesman said that the 5100 were Gorell's top of the line....should I have been made aware of the 5200 & 5300 eventhough I can't really afford any more $? I just want a good window at a fair price is all. The salesman was worse than any used car salesman I have ever heard about. He must have called the owner 5 times (at 8:00pm no less) to get authorization to lower the price after I said I wanted to wait a few days and think about it. Apparently I now have $500 below "employee discount" price! :roll: He started at $14,000 and said that they had a "special" that ended a few days ago and he could "fudge" the date on the paperwork to get me the deal at $9,000 - only if I signed now! It just kept going down from there with each call to the "owner" ....

windowshopper

Gorell Quote

#2 Post by windowshopper »

I was quoted 9200+ for 11 Gorell 5300 windows with the triple pane with their best glass but then there was a coupon which I had to sign right then and there to be able to use that allowed me to get the fifth free for every four I bought. He used 20%off to figure that and that brought it down to 7300+ but it also included 2 screen doors and 2 steel entrance doors installed which I was told was $3300.00 for the doors. Minus the doors 11 windows( 2 of those 11 were sliders) at $4000.00 would be about $363.00 It looks like you are paying 350 each for a lesser window. I am not sure you are getting a gret price on those. When I told him after that I had someone else coming next week and I wanted to see that window first he said he would do the windows and doors for $5500.00 which I was told on here left him very little profit if any. I held my ground and did not buy from him, I told him I was unhappy with his sales tactics and did not buy from him. I have since been told by someone else that he was probably giving me a price which he would not sell me the windows for but realized he did not have a sale and made a ridiculous offer to ruin it for other companies after him. It sounds like they really gave you the business although I don!t know for sure. The 2 dealers for Gorell I talked to were pushing the 5300. The second I have not met yet. Window4U can maybe tell you if the price is fair. I personally have a hard time trusting a company that pulls those sales tactics on me no matter what product I buy.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

Swerve

In a previous post, you offered the advice of:

"I put 0% down at signing, 25% at the time they arrive for the actual measuring of the windows and will pay the remaining 75% upon completion. I deal with contractors every day. Beware putting too much down up front - less motivation on the contractors part and less leverage on your behalf."

Yet... you just signed the contract under your aforementioned circumstances in this post? I thought you deal with contractors everyday? How much quality and service do you expect your "leverage" to buy you for $350 per window from a contractor with that approach? On that note, I'd respond with, "Beware of a contractor that demands nothing up front, and cuts his price in half to get the sale... there is a reason they are so desperate for business." You might want to consider holding the order and doing a little more research to see the other lines.

I have said it many times, "If you spend a little more, you sometimes get what you pay for.... but if you spend just a little, you always get what you pay for."

swerve

#4 Post by swerve »

Yes, I signed the contract with the knowledge that under law I can cancel our contract for any reason for the next three days and lose nothing other than my time. I flat out told him that I have two more companies that are going to give me quote on their windows this evening. If I feel that either one has a better offer I will use this right to cancel. He has none of my money yet so I don't even have to deal with the return of my deposit should I indeed cancel. Trust me, the salesman was not happy about not at least getting a small deposit but I stuck to my guns on that issue and he accepted it.

The only reason I do feel comfortable with the quality of their work is that both of my neighbors had their windows done by them and were very happy. If I didn't have that "referral", your right I would not entertain their proposal....

Thank you both for your comments/responses...

bondtrader

Regency

#5 Post by bondtrader »

I bought 14 Gorell 5100 windows from Regency.I did shop 5 companies and they had the best price ,product,and service. What I did learn, was that everyone is an employee,and their installers are certified. This was the only company that does a background checI am so satisfied, that I even did a TV ad. :D