window replacement in st. louis, please and thank you

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dre

window replacement in st. louis, please and thank you

#1 Post by dre »

we have been researching replacement windows for our 87 yr old brick house in st. louis. the house has 22 double-hung single pane windows, divided on the top, but not bottom, some with transoms. at some point in time, someone added really bad, poorly fitted storm windows. ha ha ha. yes, as it has been unusually cold this winter for us, they do seem like little more than a joke.

question 1: replacement windows vs. full frame replacement.

i like the idea of the relative ease of replacement windows, but not of losing glass area, which i understand will vary by company. we love the woodwork around all the windows, but i'm concerned by the likelihood of hollow mullions (correct term?) and the effect of this on efficiency. so, replacement or full-frame replacement? i have had the inside of the house tested, and know that there is no leaded paint on the inside, however, there is around all the windows on the outside. i assume that this would require lead abatement of some sort. we had been planning on using a lead encapsulating paint this spring. i don't know if this would suffice, and how much of an issue this is with replacement. i only saw it mentioned once on this discussion board.

question 2: anyone have any recommendations for companies in the st. louis area?

i have not had any estimates yet, but will within the next month. i have seen that alside, champion, marvin, and renewal by andersen are in this area, and have contacted schuco to see if they are. i've gone through pages and pages of the comments on this list for all of these companies, and think i have a general idea of overarching opinions on these windows. i was just hoping to hear if anyone has had experience with a dealer in this area. this is one project that i won't be DIYing, and getting a good install is scarier than picking out the right window.

thanks,

dre

Squirreljam

#2 Post by Squirreljam »

Dre - I'm in St Louis too and having similar worries, though I'm farther along than you are. Take a look at my post from a couple weeks ago that hasn't gotten any replies, there is some info in there about some of the windows you mention. I'm in the southern part of Webster, in a 60 year old house, not historic.

Also, let me know if you want to touch base offline to get in depth opinion of any of the ones I've been through.

-Squirreljam

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

"pella manufactures the very finest wood windows ever made" gee thanks for clearing that up for us. We have been waiting for a manager of a window company to come onto the board and tell us his window is the best ever made, then solicit for jobs with contact phone number in tow. maybe explaining what would make pella the best window would be a good start. is it the low u-values or the 10 year frame warranty that make them so attractive. and your president is the chairman of the local BBB. Now if that doesn't put the homeowner at ease i have no idea what would. maybe your vice -president is head of the local Angies list chapter. I have nothing against pella and it is fine to suggest to a homeowner to look into their product line. But to make certain claims and solicit here is unfair to homeowners who are trying to obtain information not a cheesy sales pitch.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Direct solicitation on this site is NOT allowed.

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#5 Post by Win-admin »

Direct solicitation on this site is NOT allowed.
No its not, little surprised at the source and degree of it in this thread. Must have missed the first thread on the board; viewtopic.php?t=1629

We are always happy to have industry pro's and representatives from Manufacturers on the board, but we do expect a little decorum. Maybe at least dinner and a movie befor asking us for a good nite kiss? :oops:

AdMin