Got my quotes: comments?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
FenEx

#16 Post by FenEx »

Windowrep: "I think the bottom line is just to insulate whether you use foam or fiberglass."

You are making my point about just using something that's called "insulation". It's not the same, using fiberglass in this way does not insulate, nor does it effectively airseal. Why do you think that on every full-frame window replacement you have ever done, the existing fiberglass that you remove is blackened? It's dirt... carried by airflow through the product. Part of the problem is contractors not knowing any better.. because then a homeowner never will, and they will trust poor advice. Look at the bright side... now you know better, and can service your customers better. Oh, and as I am a consultant to both Owens Corning and Johns Manville.. it might interest you to know that they agree with me on this being a poor application for their products.

Windowmann2000: "FenEx is not an installer, very knowledgeable but not an installer."

At the moment, this statement is correct... as I have crews now that install for me. I was swinging a hammer at the age of 13 and a General Contractor and master carpenter by 22. I have personally built about 60 room additions, a large church, a six-flat condo building, and historically rebulit the top of the bell tower of St Michael's cathedral in Chicago... just to name a few... while remodeling a few thousand homes. I'm not sure if that qualifies me as an installer though... but I think I understand the process. Did you think I was a bookworm?

windowmann2000

#17 Post by windowmann2000 »

To be honest with you I did have an image of a scholarly older gent with glasses hanging down on the end of his nose, you know that Ben Franklin look. What made me think you were not an installer was a picture you posted on this site showing off a cladding job that was done incorrectly by your subs on a home with what looked like 8" wood lap siding. The problem with that picture was a channel was not cut to slide the cladding back far enough to cover the entire brick mold. A real pro wouldn't do that.
However with the credentials you have posted I see that you are not only a learned individual but do have a few notches on your hammer.
I don't know why, but for some time now I have had this image in my head of you and oberon in this huge library deep into thousands of stacks of books. I humbly apologise, and if oberon chimes in ditto.

windowrep

#18 Post by windowrep »

Mr. Franklin, oops Fenex, as we have been down this road before in another thread about a year ago I will as always respect your opinions. As you state that fiberglass is used for furnace filters because air will flow through it. I will say if compacted tightly that same fiberglass will make a fender on any year corvette and will not allow air to pass. I am sure the way technology has advanced the last ten years someone will come out with some substance that will outperform both fiberglass, foam, cellulose, newspaper or whatever else you want to shove in a hole. That did not come out right did it?/?? Cmon fenex you really do wear glasses on the end of your nose dont you? On another note I just got the new Qualified Remodeler in the mail today and read the story about Feldco in chicago. Any of you Chicago guys run into them? Seem like a pretty big outfit. What kind of windows are they using?

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

windowrep wrote:Mr. Franklin, oops Fenex, as we have been down this road before in another thread about a year ago I will as always respect your opinions. As you state that fiberglass is used for furnace filters because air will flow through it. I will say if compacted tightly that same fiberglass will make a fender on any year corvette and will not allow air to pass. I am sure the way technology has advanced the last ten years someone will come out with some substance that will outperform both fiberglass, foam, cellulose, newspaper or whatever else you want to shove in a hole. That did not come out right did it?/?? Cmon fenex you really do wear glasses on the end of your nose dont you? On another note I just got the new Qualified Remodeler in the mail today and read the story about Feldco in chicago. Any of you Chicago guys run into them? Seem like a pretty big outfit. What kind of windows are they using?
Glass on the Vette is helped out ever so slightly by the resin... :wink: That goodness for bolt on panels now. I have back halfed enough older vettes in my highschool years. I worked for a guy that was a great Corvette their turned "legit" of sorts. He could cut those things into pieces and put them back together.

That being said, I do think they all work and have their purposes. I like the idea of an air-tight seal with foam and the traping of air inside the composition of the foam as well. Kind of kills two birds with one stone, however, it is a lot easier for people to improperly use foam and cause follow up service calls than it is glass.

FenEx

#20 Post by FenEx »

Ben Franklin???? Yikes!

Windomann... that capping photo you are referring to was taken from a job that I didn't install, I just sold the product for a company I consulted for when I was in New York.

Here is a recent photo from an article that was in Qualified Remodeler Magazine. It show's me at our reception desk with some of the tools we use to verify building and product performance. Notice, no glasses on the tip of my nose (not yet anyways).

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#21 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Oh my, look at all the conjured visualizations you just screwed up. Before I met you years ago, I thought you were going to be short, stocky and with spiked hair, remember? LOL.

Bill

#22 Post by Bill »

What month was that article in Ben? I have a pile of those magazines that I have not gotten to yet.

Bill

windowmann2000

#23 Post by windowmann2000 »

FenEx, I can't help it I have to make one more comment, you handsome dude. How fast can the Gerbil"s make that round thing on you counter go around? I promise I quit now.

FenEx

#24 Post by FenEx »

That article was Feb, 07... the Editor also did the Editorial on us as well.

In my opinion... the Feldco products are mid-line at their very best.

The Gerbil's ability to produce revolutions depends on the specific gerbil's muscle mass and prior conditioning. Allowing them to watch Oprah and 24 seems to increase their pace while watching Rosie on The View seems to make them agitated.

BenEx

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

All this talk about Gerbils, Oprah, and Rosie O'Donnell (otherwise known as Satan) has me wondering about you guys :shock:

windowrep

#26 Post by windowrep »

fenex probably sprays their fur with foam because hair is not a very good insulator. lol

JScott

#27 Post by JScott »

Fenex,
I thought of you when I was reading the article. The article was nice, pretty basic without alot of technical "stuff" that I was hoping to see at least slightly expanded upon. Kudos to your advertising costs. At the present time the energy costs in my state are below the national average and your approach would be considered "ahead of its time" but keep me in mind when your franchise becomes developed and available. :lol:

FenEx

#28 Post by FenEx »

Jscott

We didn't write the article, so we had little control over content. We have been fortunate enough to have had many articles written about our efforts as well as numerous radio and television spots. Try Google if you are interested in more detailed info.

Windowrep.. we don't foam gerbils... they are well insulated for their intended environments. That being said, I hope you don't start stuffing them in around your windows. (jk)

melbb

#29 Post by melbb »

windowmann2000 wrote:If the installer uses foam, make sure any cleanup is his responsilbility. Your prices seem low, especially if the price includes exterior wrapping. The windows your looking at are from decent mfrg's, make sure they have good installers. FenEx is not an installer, very knowledgeable but not an installer. Using foam is great when the space is right and the installer is capable. You give half the installers in this country some foam and view the planet from outer space and this country will look like planet marshmallow.
I don't know what to think about the prices being "low". They do include wrapping and hauling away the old windows, etc. I still need to check references, but none of them have any complaints through the BBB. So maybe it is just this area. With the insulation thing, I might try to find some other installers, though.

windowmann2000

#30 Post by windowmann2000 »

I consider any good window installed and wrapped for less than $500.00 in your sizes (between 90 & 100 U,I,) on the lower side of our current pricing here in Madison, Wisconsin. The larger sized windows such as you stated you have in white in this town start at about $475.00 plus $75.00 for cladding, plus labor extras. A good window to me starts with a better spacer system-Cardinal, xledge, Super Spacer, TPS, and the improved Intercept (not the tin plated) all dual sealed properly. At this point your a notch or two up from most of the competitors. Gorell & Simonton are both adequate products, with my nod to the better Simontons. Your prices seem to be running close to $80.00 less per. North Carolina probably has lower labor rates, I know your cost of living expenses sure beats ours.
You've obviously read the debate about proper insulating techniques and knowing that don't give up on a company just because they don't use foam. For many years I have put a window into the opening sliding it to one side and insulating it with sill seal and then moving it back the other way and doing the same, and then caulking both inside and outside stops and this technique is very adequate for your region.
I now order all the windows with foam wrap (a time saver) and sometimes use foam if I can see an area where it helps, but you can ask any installer who has ever had to remove a window recently installed for what ever reason how they feel about foaming. It's good stuff but not something I will ever use on a constant basis. Don't let it be a deterrent in your decision.