patio door caulking

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pondscum

patio door caulking

#1 Post by pondscum »

Silly question..... Is it reasonable to caulk around the fixed panel of a sliding patio door? It's a new Sunrise vinyl door I had put in last fall, and the installers did not do that (although they did a nice job on the install otherwise with neat caulking around the frame). I've noticed that in periods of high winds, I'm getting some dust blowing in the bottom track so there must be air leaking in and out through the weatherstripping, too. :? If I do that, should I caulk inside or out or both? I suppose I can't seal it completely on the outside so that any water that gets in between the panel and frame can still drain out the sill, right?

HomeSealed

Re: patio door caulking

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I would not recommend that. You could mess up the drainage, etc as you've mentioned. It will also look tacky and destroy the weatherstripping. I'd call the installer and have them take a look. It is possible that they may be able to make an adjustment, add or replace some weather stripping, etc.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I have to agree with HomeSealed. Call your dealer and let them take a look to see if any weatherstripping is missing or if for some crazy reason the fixed panel isn't completely seated into the jamb pocket. Keep in mind that there is an irrigation system with weep holes at the bottom of the fixed side of the door. Aggressive winds could be forcing some air back through the irrigation design. That's been a problem with the design of just about all sliders in my opinion. I much prefer a good hinged patio door system if there is room for the swing of the operable door and the budget allows.

Caulking of the top and side of the fixed panel is something that could be done, but I would ask the service technician while he is out what his feelings are about the caulking.
Last edited by Delaware Mike on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I would not caulk it. It will look junky over time.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Delaware Mike wrote:I have to agree with HomeSealed. Call your dealer and let them take a look to see if any weatherstripping is missing or if for some crazy reason the fixed panel isn't completely seated into the jamb pocket. Keep in mind that there is an irrigation system with weep holes at the bottom of the fixed side of the door. Aggressive winds could be forcing some air back through the irrigation design. That's been a problem with the design of just about all sliders in my opinion. I much prefer a good hinged patio door system if there is room for the swing of the operable door and the budget allows.

Caulking of the top and side of the operable panel is something that could be done, but I would ask the service technician while he is out what his feelings are about the caulking.
DM did you mean to say fixed panel?
Is the problem at the top and bottom of the interlock? Is there a wool pile patch that gets field applied on that model?

beaver

#6 Post by beaver »

Do you actually feel any air infiltration? As others have said, there may be a dust block missing. I think the dust you are finding may be a normal condition that occurs in all sliding patio doors with a pocket frame design. Dust can collect under the moving panel, and as you said, during stronger winds air movement can cause the dust to move to the fixed side of the track. No door is 100% air tight.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

There aren't any type of wool pile patches that come along with the install kits standard for this door. This door has a lot of weatherstripping on it so checking to see if any is missing would be a good place to start.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm as picky as they come on getting doors and windows airtight, but if it's not leaking to where you can feel it, and a little dust in the track on high wind days is the only symptom, I'd be jumping up and down in delight at my extremely airtight door. The dust is probably coming through the weep system and you can't caulk that shut.
No door is 100% airtight at the 25mph winds they are tested at. Add high winds to that equation and you can't expect to stop microscopic dust. The product is not designed to do what you are asking it to.
My 2¢.