Does Alside make any good window? Okna Starmark?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rroselxx

Does Alside make any good window? Okna Starmark?

#1 Post by rroselxx »

I have been getting quotes from a number of dealers. Includes 8 sliders, replace picture window and 2 casements with a patio door, large picture window with windows on each side possibly operational for ventilation.

I was considering Alside 'Preservations windows', but when I started researching the brand online, I am seeing many negative opinions and complaints on Alside windows in general.

Salesman tries to tell me those complaints are for low end Alsides (Sheffields, etc), and that the Preservations are very good. I tend to think that a company that makes junk in almost all of their lines of windows will also make junk in the 'high end' one. Am I wrong? I am just learning what to look for here, and don't want to make a major costly mistake.

Also seeing lots of recommendations on Okna windows. I have a quote on Okna 'Starmark" windows. What is your opinion on that line? I live in Wisconsin, so cold is definitely a factor in choosing new windows. Would appreciate any help I can get.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Does Alside make any good window? Okna Starmark?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I tend to agree with your thinking about a companies quality orientation be universal.

The Starmark is an excellent choice.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Preservation, unless something has changed, was and Sheffield that was loaded up with some different options and aesthetics.

Fundamentally though, the two windows are the same so if there is bad press on the Sheffield, you could likely apply that to the Preservation.

Starmark is a solid window as anthony mentioned. Different material than vinyl and usually at a bit different price point as a result.

rroselxx

#4 Post by rroselxx »

Thanks for the replies. Saw no complaints on BBB for Alside OR installer/dealer in my state, but noticed 139 complaints at windowmaker's headquarters in last 3 yrs.

Also looking at Marvin Infinity and Soft-lite, as well as the Okna. All quotes in same price range.

Thinking of going triple pane on north side of house for better insulation, but concerned about glass not emitting enough light. Any thoughts on that?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Alside is not in the category of those other windows you are looking at by any stretch.

Triple pane is always a good investment if you are comfortable with the slightly darker glass. Most folks don't notice it after about a week of living with the windows.

The different from double to triple pane is less obvious than the difference from clear to Low-e glass.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I missed the part where you were in WI.

Your decision just got a whole lot easier. One word...HomeSealed. He is the best of the best and I would have him put in my windows if I could.

You can find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5164

I would highly recommend that you look the EnviroStar (800) as well.

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

The Preservation from alside is no better than their other products. A fully loaded Yugo does not = a Mercedes. Your other choices sound better.
I am not a huge fan of fiberglass and composites in general (ie: the Infinity, Starmark, and any others)... Not because they are bad, but because you are usually paying a premium for something "different", not better. From what I've seen of the Okna, their vinyl lines pretty much equal or best the composite and do so at a lower price. The same can be said for the Infinity vs pretty much ANY high end vinyl window (or even mid-grade). Again, not bad choices, just know that you are paying more but may not be getting more.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I would have to echo the previous comments. The Starmark is a great product and easily the best choice that you've seen to this point. That said, the price premium can be very difficult to justify (over the premium vinyl offerings) unless you require the stainable interior option.
The Starmark is the best performing composite that you'll find at this point in time, however the HiMark (from Okna) will take that crown early next year upon it's release.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

I missed that as well. I strongly recommend contacting "HomeSealed".
Great contractor and completely honest.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

masterext wrote:I missed that as well. I strongly recommend contacting "HomeSealed".
Great contractor and completely honest.
The guy lives in Wisconsin so I'm pretty sure he has seen Brandon (Homesealed) already.

rroselxx

#11 Post by rroselxx »

Actually,'this guy' , who is not a guy, but a WOMAN, ( I guess you couldn't really tell from my typing) has not already seen Brandon. Probably because I am a bit north of Milwaukee where he operates.

This whole process is weighing me down. Too much information, too many variables, too many opinions that criss cross each other. However, that being said, I am leaning toward the Marvin Infinity.
Why? --local contractor/installer who has been in business near here for years (from what I hear/read it's 'installation, installation, installation'); quote close to lowest for comparable product quality; good quality window, good energy efficiency, little or no loss of glass space (one of my big criteria).

Have not made final decision yet, but getting close.

I want to thank all of you for this forum. I have learned a lot, both from your answers to me, and the numerous others you have responded to, which I have spent hours and hours reading in the last week.

If you have other caveats to give me, I am open to suggestions.
rroselxx

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rose,

I completely appreciate your frustration with the process. You would not be surprised to learn that you are not in the minority in this case. I am not sure why so many companies make this process painful but it seems to be the norm.

Brandon probably does cover your area and I think you would find his approach to be a breath of fresh air.

Glass loss is one of the critical concerns for many clients and the Marvin Infinity does do a good job of keeping that to a minimum. The edge of frame to glass measurements on the Infinity are 2.625". Some of the narrower vinyl windows (Okna 500, Sunrise, Soft-Lite Bainbridge, etc) will have very similar measurements.

I can't speak for certain on the Sunrise and the Soft-Lite as I don't have hand samples nearby, but the Okna 500 is 2.75" as compared to the 2.625" in the Infinity.

The Infinity, in the eyes of most, is prettier than any vinyl window out there. What that look is worth as a premium is up to you at the end of the day.

The performance nod would have to go to the Okna in this case from a thermal and air infiltration standpoint.

Hopefully this will get you a bit closer to a final resolution. Best of luck!!

:D

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Rose,
If you post your Zip and the quanity. Brandon at Homesealed will be able to tell if he can help you.

Brandon is passonite about what we do. He has all the best products. Is fussy about the installs.
I would trust my life to him.

TheWindowNerd.