Looking for advice on replacement windows in South Jersey

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
StandingCow

Looking for advice on replacement windows in South Jersey

#1 Post by StandingCow »

Hey everybody,

I was looking for some help in making a decision on how to get my sliding windows replaced. I live in a condo in the Hammonton, NJ area.

I have a buddy who is a carpenter, he offered to do my windows for 300 a piece (4 windows so $1200). Problem is I would have to order them all and have them delivered to my house, which isn't a problem, but I am paranoid that they aren't going to fit. He measured them as follows: 2 windows 6x5 1 4x5 and 1 4x4, but I don't think he measured the depth, which is apparently important. I was going to take off about 1/8" to make sure they aren't too big, but I am afraid of running into issues and being stuck with windows that are too large. Anyway, if I had him do it and ordered the windows online the price would be roughly 2,400.

I had Nationwide Windows and Siding come in to get a quote from them, he brought in samples that apparently had silver coating and all to block heat, I asked him about argon and he said it was a waste since it leaked out after 7 years or so... anyway, their total cost before negotiating the price was 3,231.

Now I also saw on here there are people in south jersey that will install windows, so that might be a good direction to go in as well.... what do you all think I should do? Man up and order the windows and have my carpenter buddy do them or have window professional dudes do it?

Thanks for your time!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Looking for advice on replacement windows in South Jersey

#2 Post by masterext »

Having your " contractor buddy" install your windows will be a very bad idea. The fact that he wants you to order the windows makes it abundantly clear that he has no clue what so ever as to what quality is. I also have doubts regrading his install methods.
In all my years installing windows, i have yet to find one single person that was happy with their contractor buddy, family friend, or family member who installed their windows. The one common denominator is was the fact that the aforementioned all had cheap prices. Cheap prices equal cheap work and cheap looking windows. You dont need that sort of aggrevation.
Nationwide is not a bad window at all and better than what you will find at home depot or your local lumber yard. You would wantnto look at Okna- HiMark- Soft Lite, or Sunrise, all high quality brands.
I would DEFINITELY contact delaware mike or Anthony. Search their names on the board and then click their contact buttons.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Having a buddy with a poorly defined work plan is a quick way to lose a friend.

To top it all off, the price isn't really that good.

The Nationwide guy doesn't know what he is talking about either.

Reset and reload and get some new quotes.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's been a few years since I've been in Hammonton. I was out that way back in 2009 to get my OSHA 30 and scaffolding certification at the Carpenters Training Center named after my Father's long time friend and boss. The Nationwide guy sounds outright scary. Is your carpenter buddy talking about $300 a window labor and does that include a full-frame tear out and all new trim? I know most of the condo unit's built in South Jersey in the 80's and 90's were built utilizing aluminum windows or Caradco type wood windows.

StandingCow

#5 Post by StandingCow »

Delaware Mike wrote:It's been a few years since I've been in Hammonton. I was out that way back in 2009 to get my OSHA 30 and scaffolding certification at the Carpenters Training Center named after my Father's long time friend and boss. The Nationwide guy sounds outright scary. Is your carpenter buddy talking about $300 a window labor and does that include a full-frame tear out and all new trim? I know most of the condo unit's built in South Jersey in the 80's and 90's were built utilizing aluminum windows or Caradco type wood windows.
It is just for replacement vinyl windows, and it is just labor. The old windows I have in right now are aluminum.

Also, thanks for the advice all, yea I had a feeling hiring a buddy wouldn't turn out too well, which is why I am hesitant.

I will try and get a quote from Anthony and DM. :)

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not know what happened to Delaware Mikes "Get a Quote" button, it would be below his screen name.
Anyway if he gets it back up here then he is who I would contact.
He is a window nerd like I am. Super nice guy, very fussy about the install.

StandingCow

#7 Post by StandingCow »

Well, after reading more up on brands of windows and all I asked my buddy if I could order them through him but apparently he just has the customer get the windows and then he installs them. So... yea, I think I will see if DM or Anthony want to install them. :)

Thanks for the advice everybody!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

You are on the right track... That scenario is full of red flags, and as someone else mentioned, that is not even a great deal considering that its a side job and all he has to do is show up and furnish labor. Anthony and DM are both long time contributors here, both sticklers for quality, and good quality people. :)

StandingCow

#9 Post by StandingCow »

He has insurance... but what I didn't check on until I started doing research is if he has any sort of warranty, etc... I could tell he wasn't too happy that I wasn't going to use him, but when it comes to spending this kind of money, he can be as unhappy as he wants, I want peace of mind, lol.

Yea, I heard also the 300 bucks a window wasn't a great deal from the sales guy who told me argon gas was a waste of money, but that doesn't really bother me, what bothered me was the lack of brand knowledge. Being told you can't go wrong with anderson (which is probably true, but then you are paying for brand name) didn't instill a lot of confidence.

What sold me on going through this site is the amount of time people like DM and Anthony spend just answering questions... really means a lot that personal time is spent helping others.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

my suggestion will be to use the HiMark 820DX
U= .26 , R50 , AI .05 , lifetime warranty from a stable company.
Besides all that the look and operate fantastic.

StandingCow

#11 Post by StandingCow »

Hey Anthony, I sent Wayne a few emails but have not heard back from him, he was getting the paperwork together I think?

Let me know if I need to email someone else. Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am sorry.
Will take care of today.

StandingCow

#13 Post by StandingCow »

anthony wrote:I am sorry.
Will take care of today.
It's cool man, like I said before I am in no rush, I was just worried that my emails weren't going through or something. :)