Soft-lite Elements ultra-s glass VS Pella 350

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
megangardens

Soft-lite Elements ultra-s glass VS Pella 350

#1 Post by megangardens »

Deciding between Soft-lite Elements (ultra-s glass) and Pella 350

Both are triple pane, argon gas, low-e coating. Both include insulated and reinforced frames. Both include repair of any rotted wood, and insulation of the frame/wall/former sash/weight areas. Softlite has a much better warranty, but Pella's is fine. Pella has a new welding technique to there are NO seams in the corners that looks really slick.

Anything about the window itself, or installation from these vendors would be appreciated.

I am getting the whole house updated, 18 windows, in Boston, MA>

Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Soft-lite Elements ultra-s glass VS Pella 350

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 350 is a step in the right direction for Pella, I still do not like it. They buff the seams out and make it concaved. The window is a pocket sill which is a major design flaw. Also the overall frame thickness is oversized.
If it were me I would go with the Soft-Lite.
If you need further help besides an old dogs opinion just ask each for their actual AI test results. The lower the better, Soft-lite will be far superior.
By the way AI, air infiltration, measures how much draft or breeze you get through the window.
Which SL model are you looking at?

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same as on GardenWeb

Pella 350 = pocket sill

That is a deal breaker in my opinion.

The Elements if one of the top 3-4 vinyl windows out there.

Easy choice.

megangardens

#4 Post by megangardens »

Thanks very much. The Soft-lite is $4K more for the whole project and I wasn't sure it was worth it...

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

megangardens wrote:Thanks very much. The Soft-lite is $4K more for the whole project and I wasn't sure it was worth it...
If you Google around on Pocket sills, you will read some horror stories. I have looked and determined a few in my day.

I just can't, in good faith, trust them.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I agree, the pella 350 is just average and has a very dated sill design which none of us would ever recommend on a double hung window. The soft lite elements is one of the top windows out there along with the okna 800 series window.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the other pros, the Elements is going to have the performance edge by a comfortable margin (air leakage and u-factor), and without the design flaws that could pose potential issues such as the sill.