Wood Replacement Windows In Minnesota Home

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bmdragos

Wood Replacement Windows In Minnesota Home

#1 Post by bmdragos »

Hey everyone,

I was looking for some guidance on some new replacement windows. We just had 3 windows installed by Apex energy with their Alside Insignia vinyl window. We were under impression we were receiving the white wood grain vinyl but instead received the regular glossy white vinyl that was damaged on arrival. Not only that, but the windows are now smaller due to the thick edging of the window!! At least they look decent from the outside, but the inside is unacceptable. The rest of the windows in the house are wood, mostly from Marvin I believe.

Anyway, we thought we would take a chance and try out vinyl, bad move, just doesn't fit the house. So, we are going to move the replacement windows that Apex sets us up with to the cabin we are building, and going for round 2 at the house.

So we are now looking at wood windows to put in. I've set appointments with pella and marvin windows. But what can you guys tell me to keep an eye out here for the better products? I've seen a few poor reviews of the Pella 750 designer series but wanted to find out more.

Oh, and the windows being replaced are one in the dining room that has a a picture frame in the middle flanked by a casement on each side. Then two double casements in a bedroom.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Wood Replacement Windows In Minnesota Home

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Couple of clarification worth noting:

1. If the Apex window is anything in Alside Sheffield/Ultramaxx family of products, your noting of the frame thickness is quite astute but not necessarily normal for the vinyl industry.

2. If vinyl doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. That being said, don't judge all vinyl by that window and poor product delivery.

Back to your questions:

I wouldn't get a wood-wood window unless you absolutely wanted that look to the exterior. There are several composite/wood interior windows on the marketplace that will give you the look and feel of wood without the price tag and short warranty.

Casements should invariable be tighter than their other operator (DH, Sliders, etc.) counterparts but I would encourage you to get something in a triple pane family of glass.

Being where you are located, your windows are massive weak spots in your wall assembly.

bmdragos

#3 Post by bmdragos »

I don't mean to write off all vinyl windows. Wood/wood is not really a necessity, we were in the pella showroom last night and the wood interior with the aluminum clad exterior seemed like it was more fitting to our needs. Is that what you are referring to when you say composite with the longer warranty?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Something with a fiberglass exterior and wood interior.

bmdragos

#5 Post by bmdragos »

Do you have a specific brand(s) in mind? Thanks for the help!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Integrity from Marvin is pretty nice but not available in triple pane. I think you need to look at the Canadian guys for that type of stuff.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are looking for a clad wood window with triple pane the Pella designer series would be one choice. The look both on the interior and exterior is slightly different than the a "traditional" clad wood window( such as Pella A series or AW 400 Wood Wright or Marvin Clad wood).
If I was looking for a more energy saving window with triple pane and a wood interior I would consider the InLine fiberglass with red oak laminated interior.