Am I being taken for a ride by Champion?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DesiPilot

Am I being taken for a ride by Champion?

#1 Post by DesiPilot »

I am so glad that I found this website and it led me to do some research on Champion windows.

We had a Champion company rep visit our house yesterday. I never thought that I was dealing with a sleazy car salesman (until I read the reviews) and everyone's story of how sales rep acted just like mine. I called Champion on my neighbor's recommendation but he had his windows installed 12 years ago. I previously had called Windows World and got a quote from them.

Our house was built in 1972 and still has the original windows which leak. We have total 24 windows that need replacement. The two quotes I got was one from Windows World for their 1000 series windows for $8379 and the other from Champion for their "Comfort 365" for $25,729. No this is not a typo and indeed it is $25,729. My wife and I were gullible enough to sign a contract to buy it. Today after further looking in to it, I am sure we were fooled by the rep and we are overpaying. I am still within 3 days, so tomorrow I am going to go and cancel my contract.

My question is, I live in Memphis, TN which company would best suit our environmental need? We are sold on LowE glass filled with Argon gas. However, I don't think it should cost $1072 a piece.

We bought the house 3 years ago and we plan to stay here for long time.

Thanks a lot for your advice and suggestions.

Randy

Re: Am I being taken for a ride by Champion?

#2 Post by Randy »

The short answer is yes, you are paying way too much for a window that delivers way too little.

Better windows would include the following: Sunrise Vanguard or Restorations, Okna 500 or 800, Soft-lite Imperial LS or Elements. See if you can locate dealers for these windows and get a couple more quotes to establish a reasonable price range for a quality product. Best wishes.

DesiPilot

#3 Post by DesiPilot »

Thanks Randy,

Before I hit the bed last night I sent out an email to OKNA asking them for a quote. This morning there was a reply from them stating that they do not have any dealer in Memphis area.

I am on the phone and will be calling Softlite, Sunrise, Kensington, Simonton and Elements. Will keep you updated.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Just FYI, while Simonton would be a good alternative to Champion, it's not in the same league as the others you've listed. If you decide to go that route, I'd stick with the 5500, 9800, or Prism Platinum and get it upgraded with sash reinforcement and something other than the basic Intercept Spacer.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

in my market for an avg project with the Okna/HiMark 800 DX you would pay anywhere from $535 to $735 per window, this is the typical high and low from different dealers in my area.
The 800Dx is my 1st choice followed by Soft-Lite Imperial LS.
Let me know if you need any further help.