Simonton Reflections 5500 vs American Jewel 3000

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DesiDeecee

Simonton Reflections 5500 vs American Jewel 3000

#1 Post by DesiDeecee »

Hello,

I am looking to replace windows on our 32 year old home in DC suburbs. I have been researching a bit on windows it all seems so confusing. I got quotes from couple of installers. One is quoting for American Jewel 3000 series windows with following specs:

ahc-inc.net/windows/Ideal/webpages/ideal.htm

U-Factor : 0.22
SHGC: 0.20
VT : 0.44
AL: <=0.3

Another installer is quoting for Simonton Reflections 5500 series with following specs:

U-Factor : 0.30
SHGC: 0.24
VT : 0.45
AL: <=0.08 CFM (??)

Based on these specs, American Jewel looks like a better model. Based on my reading up on these models on windows forums, looks like Simonton is a better product. Pretty much everyone is trashing American Jewel windows. Price for both quotes is comparable, with Simonton about $600 higher. When I asked Simonton Installer for quotes for Simonton Prism Platinum and Simonton Impressions 9800 models, he just brushed them aside saying they are all same windows with different names. Is that correct? Thank you in advance for all and any help in getting through this maze.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton Reflections 5500 vs American Jewel 3000

#2 Post by masterext »

If im not mistaken american jewel went out of business. It wasnt highly regarded anyway but its strange you were shown that window. The simonton is average on a good day but its a very old design with not very good numbers.
If you are in the DC area, i would seriously consider contacting windows on washington. He is a nice guy, runs a tight ship, and offers a variety of quality windows. At the very least i would give him a call. Search the board for his name and click his contact button.

DesiDeecee

#3 Post by DesiDeecee »

Thank you, will check out Windows on Washington.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

I followed the link you provided and contractor #1 is quoting you an Ideal window and they are achieving those performance numbers by putting low-e on the #2 and #4 surfaces. There are condensation issues to consider when you purchase a window with low-e on the #4 surface.

Yes American Jewel has closed.

The Simonton Reflections 5500 is the same window as the Prism Platinum; the Impressions 9800 is a bit nicer looking with additional points of weather stripping and a stronger warranty.

I second the advice to call Windows on Washington.