Window installation charge

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
npolite

Window installation charge

#1 Post by npolite »

Hi All,

I am uncertain how many years I will continue to keep my home. I am looking to replace two bay windows with 3 36" wide windows. One is 113" wide by 4ft high while the other is 113" wide by 6ft high. Lowes is running a promotion on the windows. I was quotes $5500 for the 6 Pella Architecture 850 windows. Their labor was $2400.

I have heard mixed results with using them as installers as Lowes point fingers at the contractor should there be any issues and the contractor points fingers back at Lowes.

I have tried reaching out to a certified Pella installer. The one installer wanted $3600 labor without even looking at the project. The other quoted me $1200 over the price from Lowes for the same windows and would have to look at the house for the labor price.

What would be a reasonable price to remove the two bay windows and install 6 windows in 2 openings? I know this depends on what they find but starting off what should I be expecting? I want to move a little quickly on this as the old windows have wood and they have been getting water in both the double panes as well as between each bay window.

Thanks,
Nick

Windows on Washington

Re: Window installation charge

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nick,

To be honest, I don't know how Lowes is selling them for that. I know they do a ton of volume, but I couldn't sell them for that and even approach a margin that is sustainable. I am sure they pay less than I do, but it is going to have to be a bunch less. Maybe it is to be honest, but their numbers are insanely low.

I think install is going to be the critical comparison here. While you can get a great crew from either Big Blue or Big Orange, it seems to be (from reading the web) more of a roll of the dice.

Kind of an expensive roll of the dice if it were my home.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Yeah Nick, that quote is too low to take seriously. Labor is extremely important and not something you want to skimp on just because you may not be staying in your home very long. Last thing you want is a home inspector noticing shoddy workmanship from some low skilled window installer. Thats a bargaining chip you dont want a prospective home buyer to have.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The numbers could work that you were quoted, depends on the product specs. I am a CPC-PCC have been since the inception of the program.
The difficulty is to compare the scope of work. Things like what is happening at the top of the window where they are finished into the soffit or pent roof? Are there knee braces at the bottom.what happens to them? You say that you would use 3 @ 36" that only equals 108" what happens to the rest of the space, besides stock size is 37"?

theWindowNerd.

npolite

#5 Post by npolite »

TheWindowNerd wrote:The numbers could work that you were quoted, depends on the product specs. I am a CPC-PCC have been since the inception of the program.
The difficulty is to compare the scope of work. Things like what is happening at the top of the window where they are finished into the soffit or pent roof? Are there knee braces at the bottom.what happens to them? You say that you would use 3 @ 36" that only equals 108" what happens to the rest of the space, besides stock size is 37"?

theWindowNerd.

What I recall from Lowes is that they would fill in the spaces with wood. I have a person who renovated our kitchen. I am going to see if he will be able to install these. If he can I'll end up buying the windows and having him install them. I would be open to other cheaper windows if they are reliable. It's just trying to keep the installation and the windows within reason. I don't want to go over 6-8k for them.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Aren't you at 8K with the Lowes quote as is? $5500 + $2400 = $7900.

What are the details on the window you are being quoted because I was just quoted several architect series (granted with SDLs) and they are more expensive than the roughly $900 per window you are talking about. They do have SDLs, but they also weren't 6' tall.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At 8K for the project you assume a lot of risk if you buy the windows and have someone else install them. You have to deal with ordering, confirming, payment, delivery, coordinating schedules.

If you would consider vinyl windows you can get better energy savings and also have more budget to do it right the first time, IMHO.

theWindowNerd.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd have to agree with the pros above that stated that the price is unrealistic. $900 per window installed is not a price that a reputable company can offer without cutting some major corners on installation, and still making no profit after that.

npolite

#9 Post by npolite »

I was quoted $4100 for the six Pro-Line windows and $1900 for the Pella 250 vinyl windows. Now the guy at Lowes is telling me that the installer needs to re-measure them before he installs them. So what are Lowes installers going to to try to fit a square through a circle hole?

Note that labor seems to be an additional $2400.

So for the Architect 850's it is

Pella - $5,554.00 (includes 15% off promo)
Labor - $2,460.00
Total - $7,994.04

Some things have changed recently and I am not certain how much longer we will be in the house. I am probably looking at the Pro-Line unless the 250 vinyl seems to be ok.
Last edited by npolite on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

A second appointment for remeasure is not at all uncommon. Many times the first person that prices the job is not qualified to measure. Even when he is, it is important that the person measuring and the person installing are on the same page (if it is not the same person) as everyone has their own preferences.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I avoided asking where you are located. If you are located near one of the pros who regularly serves this community you should click on their "get a quote" tab.
I would not do the 250. I would look at an Okna 400 for the lost price with acceptable quality.

theWindowNerd.