American Craftsman-Silver Lining Windows/Foam Filled Frames

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wodiej61

#1 Post by wodiej61 »

Hi,

I am getting ready to replace the windows in my home and would like to know if American Craftsman windows are good quality. Also, is it worth an extra $20 a window to have the window frames foam filled? What about E coating? An extra $12 for this per window also. I have read it helps insulate the windows but have also read unless you live somewhere that summers are typically very hot, the E coating doesn't make much difference. I live in Northern Indiana. thanks

Laura

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

American Craftsman/ Silverline are absolutely bottom end products. Sorry.

wodiej61

#3 Post by wodiej61 »

ok, thank you for telling me before I purchased them. Can you recommend something else?

Is it worth the extra money to get foam filled and e coating? thanks Laura

wodiej61

Peachtree or Reliabilt windows

#4 Post by wodiej61 »

Are either of these windows good quality? Laura

FenEx

Re: Reply

#5 Post by FenEx »

FenEx wrote:American Craftsman/ Silverline are absolutely bottom end products. Sorry.
Was my previous statement not clear?

Ok... they are at the bottom of the bottom end products. Or, you could consider them beneath the bottom of the low-end mid grade products. If you still want to know if this puts them in the "Good" range, I'd suggest buying them as you are beyond consultative help.

wodiej61

Peachtree or Reliabilt Windows

#6 Post by wodiej61 »

You apparently didn't read my subject line. I was asking about Peachtree or Reliabilt windows. And YES, you made yourself clear. I will get advice elsewhere. You obviously are irritated by helping people. Maybe you should find something else to do.

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

Have you seen and looked up the numbers for Peachtree or Reliabilt(branded) products? When you get a chance, do so, and then tell me how they differ from Silverline.

I help millions of people every year by traveling across the country and fighting for what is good for the industry and consumers. Your windows are of little concern to me, but I thought I'd give you a little advantage. Do as you wish.

You are seeking praise and support for low-end, poorly performing products (regardless if your local dealers are giving you high-end pricing). I'll hush, and let's see how many supporting votes you get for the products your research has led you to.

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

FenEx is right and all professionals get tired of having to fully explain everything all the time. Do some searches on this site to help educate yourself then, ask a question.

It would be better to look at the purchase as if it were a car since we are all familiar with them and the average joe does not know didily about windows.

FenEx is trying to sway you away from some real klunkers. We know what you lose in performance combined with the initial cost is the value of the product and so many get lost in the up front outlay of cash.

I read today in a book acquired from the honorable HD that 53 million windows are sold per year. Most for replacement and most windows being replaced are 2-10 years old and the main reason is that they do not perform to the homeowners expectations. I asked myself if that number would go down if people did not buy windows from HD. P.S. the copywright was 2006 but the data was from 2004.

Also, the foam filling may save you $2.00 to $5.00 per year.

wodiej61

Windows

#9 Post by wodiej61 »

I didn't know this was going to be an inquiry! All I asked if any of these windows were any good. How is that asking for a full explanation? Can't you just answer yes or no without giving me the third degree? I have tried looking up the quality of these windows myself and cannot find any data or I would not be here asking people such as yourself who obviously have no business helping anyone. There was also nothing or very little on THIS website addressing my questions. I use the internet alot and have been surfing all over trying to find information. You both are lacking in people skills. Instead of chastising me for asking a simple question you could have offered to tell me what ARE good windows. Apparently you don't know. By the way, my home is 70 years old and so are the windows. So I am not replacing them just because I don't like them. They're old and inefficient. Neither of you were one bit helpful.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fenex is probably one of the brightest guys around when it comes to construction methods and building technology innovation so please don't read into his statements more than is necessary. These questions have been posed several times and as contractors wanting to see our customers get the best products, we are disappointed/frustrated with the customer getting bottom end products. Please don't feel offended.

Back to your original question..the products you listed are junk. That is the best way to describe it. As far as other product recommendations...how much time to you have. There are a myriad of good vinyl products on the market and before proceeding any further in the estimating process, it would be a great idea for you to try to familiarize yourself with all the terminology and performance data as it pertains to windows. This will help you sort through all the garbage that would will likely be presented with in your average estimate.

Low-e should be a standard on windows. It is beneficial in both the heating and cooling months. Foam filled frames will only slightly improve the energy efficiency of a window and you will likely never recoup the investment in them. Some manufacturers do foam filling as a standard whereas others offer it as an option. If it is an option, I would pass on it for all windows with the exception of those windows in a bathroom or near a humidity source.

Good windows to look at...Soft-Lite, Schuco, Sunrise, Simonton, Milgard, the list goes on and on. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I have experience with.

Good luck and do some searching on this forum and you will likely have all the information that you might need.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:Fenex is probably one of the brightest guys around when it comes to construction methods and building technology innovation so please don't read into his statements more than is necessary.
Plus, I personally know that he has been cigarette-free now for 7 days and counting after smoking a couple packs a day for 25 years. I think I'll wait till he's been a month off the cigs before I stop in and see him!

FenEx :arrow: :evil:
Window4U :arrow: 8)

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:Fenex is probably one of the brightest guys around when it comes to construction methods and building technology innovation so please don't read into his statements more than is necessary.
Plus, I personally know that he has been cigarette-free now for 7 days and counting after smoking a couple packs a day for 25 years. I think I'll wait till he's been a month off the cigs before I stop in and see him!

FenEx :arrow: :evil:
Window4U :arrow: 8)
Ah...the old nicotine fallout. This explains alot. Good luck FenEx. We might need to put a disclaimer on his posts for a couple of weeks.

windowmann2000

#13 Post by windowmann2000 »

Fenex is now listed in the armed and dangerous category. About a week without nicotine is serious. I wouldn't get to close to him for another 7-10 days. Seriously Fenex, I quit about 8 weeks ago with a product called chantix. It's available with a prescription from your Doc and works very well. If you do a little fudging as I did the 2nd week it makes them taste terrible and the pill does not allow nicotine to enter your system so you get nothing from the smoke.
The entire time it has been relatively easy for me except for a day I almost rear ended a vehicle in front of me at about 60mph. Immediately after that incident I rushed to a gas station and bought a pack but only took a few drags before throwing the entire pack away.
Good luck with your attempt, it's one of the toughest bad habits in the world to break.

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

Thank you for your support gentlemen. I've always considered myself to be a strong person... so it's pissin' me off that those damn things have such a grip on me. I have tried relaxing with burning insense sticks... until I found myself trying to inhale it. My apologies to the original poster if I came across a bit gruff.

What makes me even more angry is that I researched cigarettes and found all the nasty chemicals that the manufacturers intentionally put in them to get you so addicted... it's not even the nicotine that's the problem! Ok... gotta go kill something now.

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

I started with the chantix but I am still puffin. Went to see the doctor today and now have a script for being so hyper to mellow me out.

I literally pissed off a customer in the showroom yesterday and figured it was time for a vacation.

Keep up the work FenEx.

As for the original question- no these are not very good windows for a home. They may be better than you have but windows are part of your wall system and you should choose wisely. Good luck.