Schuco

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Wds83

#31 Post by Wds83 »

You cant take insiderinfo seriously, he has been on an anti Schuco campaign ever since he joined this forum. He is a rep from another company. Take a look at his past posts.
First,
Schuco 's inline slider slider is one of the best on the market today. The only problem with them is that there not installer friendly and it takes a homeowner awhile to learn how to operate them correctly. When it is installed correctly its one of the best tilt and turn windows out there right now. I have installed hundreds of them with no problems what so ever.

I'm not even going to comment on the supposed email. Give me a break!
Last edited by Wds83 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insiderinfo

#32 Post by insiderinfo »

Yes, they have been redesigning the in-line slider, it's fairly common knowlege amongst the dealers that have or have at one time sold the in-line.. By the way, if you use their windows you will have noticed an attempt earlier this year to lessen the air and water issues with the in-line by changing the weatherstrip.

Yes, the in-line is critically sensitive to installation mistakes, but heck, none of those should ever occur because I've read in this forum that Schuco "certifies" all installers. So, based on the certification by Schuco, the installers must know how to put the in-lines in properly, should they not?

The-Window-Guy

#33 Post by The-Window-Guy »

I don't understand why anyone would think the manufacturer of any product would be responsible for a bad installation. They make the product and may or may not certify installers but that doesn't make them responsible for irresponsible financial business practices and fraud by a dealer.
I don’t understand why anyone would think a manufacturer doesn’t have some sort of responsibility for a poor installation. Their the ones that allowed that dealer to carry their product line. Bear in mind in most of these situations that dealer has a protected sales area; meaning he’s the only entity that can sell the product to that customer. The manufacturer and the dealer are partners in this situation. Too often manufacturers choose dealers based more upon pushing more product than upholding to quality standards.

Personally I think Schuco is out of their minds to partner with some of these companies that have carried their product line.

Skydawggy.

#34 Post by Skydawggy. »

Window-Guy wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would think the manufacturer of any product would be responsible for a bad installation. They make the product and may or may not certify installers but that doesn't make them responsible for irresponsible financial business practices and fraud by a dealer.
I don’t understand why anyone would think a manufacturer doesn’t have some sort of responsibility for a poor installation. Their the ones that allowed that dealer to carry their product line. Bear in mind in most of these situations that dealer has a protected sales area; meaning he’s the only entity that can sell the product to that customer. The manufacturer and the dealer are partners in this situation. Too often manufacturers choose dealers based more upon pushing more product than upholding to quality standards.

Personally I think Schuco is out of their minds to partner with some of these companies that have carried their product line.
Why would anyone think a manufacturer wouldn't cover the installation? How about because I can't find anywhere in their literature that states they do. Are you claiming that in the Schuco Factory Warranty that they specifically warrant all labor including installation and repair? I can't seem to find that part on their site. In fact I couldn't find anything specific about their warranty other than it's a Limited Lifetime. Could you tell me where it says that?

OTOH assuming what you say is true, it makes me think even less of Schuco. If they have an obligation to fix the windows NuView left in their path, then why aren't they living up to their obligation?. Either way, I'd say the bloom is off on Schuco and I'd warn prospective customers to be very careful in which Schuco dealer they choose just as I would if I heard the same about any other manufacturer.

Oh, and before someone accuses me of being another window company salesman, I'm not and Schuco isn't much of competitor in this area, so I couldn't care less about them. What I do care about is if a company states their warranty covers certain issues like installation, that they live up to it. If it doesn't cover installation, that's fine too as long as they make that clear to the customer before buying.

I can imagine how different the tone on this board would be if this was WW or HD. :roll:

The-Window-Guy

#35 Post by The-Window-Guy »

Are you claiming that in the Schuco Factory Warranty that they specifically warrant all labor including installation and repair? I can't seem to find that part on their site. In fact I couldn't find anything specific about their warranty other than it's a Limited Lifetime. Could you tell me where it says that?
Come on, try reading my post, I didn't say anything of the sort. What I am saying is if manufacturers selected, trained and continuously analyzed customer feedback regarding their dealers we would have a lot less discussion like the one were having right here. Over half the posts on this board have to do with weak dealers who perform poor installations with the customer left holding the bag.

Manufactures need to step up their game relative to who they allow to carry their products; better vetting, better training, better job keeping the bar high.

Skydawggy.

#36 Post by Skydawggy. »

I'm not disagreeing with you about the way it oughta be. In a perfect world manufacturers would simply install their own products but most would rather concentrate on building a better product and leave the installations to the dealers. Window manuf. are simply in business to sell as many windows as they can. That's why so many products show up at HD, WW etc.

It's not just windows, it's most products. How many siding manuf. will come out and repair a bad install by a dealer? Does a furniture manuf. guarantee the items you buy from a local store will be delivered to your home undamaged? The most many manuf. will do is send a rep out just to verify it isn't a defect in their product and then tell you it's the installation.

I'm simply stating how it is, not how it should be and my original statement about why someone would think a manuf. would cover an install is more valid than your contention that they should. The answer is that unless you get a written warranty from any manf. of any product stating installation is covered, then it's safe to assume it isn't. If you don't have that assurance, then don't whine later when you find out there's no installation coverage. It's become obvious that Schuco doesn't cover a bad installation by their dealers. So buyer beware.

FenEx

#37 Post by FenEx »

I am reserving judgement until sometime in the near future as I am having problems and discussions with Schuco Corporate as well.

I will share the outcome soon.

Happy Holidays.

windowmann2000

#38 Post by windowmann2000 »

I find it interesting but not shocking that Schuco has a few flaws, I don't know a window company that doesn't. Obviously insiderinfo is far more familiar with some of the things going on with Schuco than some of their dealers. I've only seen a couple of their sliders but both customers were very happy with them, but that's just two. I'm not a huge Schuco fan because of the original Homecraft dealings and if you take a good look at there bow and bays there nothing to write home about and I've seen seal failures in units less than a month old (so their human) and maybe they aren't getting a 99% gas fill and if that's a fact shame on them for the false advertisements, but if I were building a home in the mountains it's the window I would put in because it is a very strong unit that will stand up for many many years. There are units on the market with better numbers but I doubt they can stand the test of time like a Schuco.

Marlene

Simonton 9800

#39 Post by Marlene »

I have been following this discussion on Schuco with alot of interest. Originally, I had contracted for Schuco Corona 4000. When that didn't work out, I decided to go with Simonton 9800 with the glass package upgrade.
I live in the DC area and thought that triple pane might be overkill. Also, when I was shown the Schuco triple pane, I noticed how much it darkened the room. So I got a double pane and I am very pleased.
I was also able to find a great dealer and the installation went extremely well (I have a review on the windows and company in the review section) and I am extremely satisfied. If things don't work out with your Schuco windows, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Simonton window. As an aside I like the white finish on the Simonton as opposed to the odd look of the Schuco color but that is just my opinion. Good luck!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#40 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Schuco sample with triple in it will look way darker during a demo inside your home than when installed in an exterior opening. That's one of the reasons I have always liked their triple, because it didn't look tinted compared to other brands I have used.

Here is a photo where one window is not in yet and the triple pane Schuco has been set into the opening on the other side. Note the lack of darkening tint.

Marlene

Window darkening

#41 Post by Marlene »

The window rep held up a sample Schuco triple window against my living room window lace curtains. I could really see a difference in the amount of light coming through my old windows and the amount of light coming through the Schuco triple pane sample. I think the Schuco had the advantage of not allowing so much glare from the sun on the tv and also giving some protection to my furniture from the sun's rays. However, I love to look out my windows (hence the lace curtains) and felt that the Schuoc window did make the room darker as well as the view to the outside. I still would have purchased the Schuco window because of the quality of the window. However, I was ripped off and it left a bad taste for Schuco windows in general! I will say in your pix the view from the opening and the Schuco window does not look that different! Thanks for the pix! Marlene

DWS

#42 Post by DWS »

homeowner wrote:fenex, curious. does it bother you that this dealer installs a known window at a really good price up front? or was it some of the referals i looked at that you didnt think were up to snuff?
Homeowner / WW spokes person, I am glad you experience went well, I trully am, But in the real world it usualy doesn't go so well with companies that rely strickty on volumn. The WW location in my area has provided me with so many pictures of window install gone wrong that we put toghether a power point presentation that will make you laugh. Seriously it better than the comedy club! I guess it all boils down to how well each branch is willing to go. I have found, sadly that the ww branches that were dedicated to quality are going out of business. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is, for both you and them.

But again, congratulations you turned out to be the exception. Consider yourself lucky.... Oh by the way I don't sell schuco incase your were wondering ...

vausa99

#43 Post by vausa99 »

Skydawggy

Please don't assume that I did not conduct due diligence in selecting Schuco and ultimately NuView (the only Schuco distributor in the area at the time). I did go to BBB and other sites; I did visit homes where NuView had completed work; I did conduct reference checks; and I did interview 5 window contractors before signing a deal.

That being said, there is no justification for a contractor ripping someone off or performing shoddy work and it is never the clients fault when that happens.

I'm not here to rehash the debacle that is NuView. I have indeed moved on. I've logged on to get information or tips on the inline sliders as they are giving me trouble, not to belly ache.

Marlene

Schuco

#44 Post by Marlene »

Vanusa~
I couldn't have said it better. I did much the same things with the same results. Thank you for speaking up! Marlene

Skydawggy.

#45 Post by Skydawggy. »

vausa99 wrote:Skydawggy

Please don't assume that I did not conduct due diligence in selecting Schuco and ultimately NuView (the only Schuco distributor in the area at the time). I did go to BBB and other sites; I did visit homes where NuView had completed work; I did conduct reference checks; and I did interview 5 window contractors before signing a deal.

I think that's great you did your research. However, as I stated many people do not. Sorry if you took it personally. If you go back and read what I said, it's apparent I wasn't talking about you.

That being said, there is no justification for a contractor ripping someone off or performing shoddy work and it is never the clients fault when that happens.

I agree. Again, if you reread my post, I said I have all the sympathy in the world for someone who gets ripped off.

I'm not here to rehash the debacle that is NuView. I have indeed moved on. I've logged on to get information or tips on the inline sliders as they are giving me trouble, not to belly ache.
The post you made that I rsponded to was regarding the shoddy installation. You didn't say anything about "tips". You made it very clear in that post you were having trouble finding someone to come out and repair them. Here is your exact statement.
"Much care must be take to make sure they are completely level. In my area, many installer won't touch them".

and

"So...I'm SOL on getting anyone to come out and adjust the windows...if that is even possible".

and

"Dream has been very good to those who lost deposits with NuView, however, they will not come out and redo shoddy installation from a previous contractor without payment".

So it seemed you were complaining about the installation and you were looking for help trying to find someone to correct that problem. I tried to make suggestions on who might be able to come out and fix them, but considering how long ago you had the windows installed and the fact you haven't had them repaired, it seemed you expected someone to come out and do it for free.

I'm very sorry you got ripped off. From what you said, it appears you did everything right but still had a bad experience. I'm also sorry if I came off as blaming you and that you, misunderstood me.