Home Depot or Sturdy Home Improvement/Enviroview Windows?

Share your experiences with others
iggyaa

Home Depot or Sturdy Home Improvement/Enviroview Windows?

#1 Post by iggyaa »

Hi,
We live just outside of Boston, MA. We need to replace 4 windows. The Home Depot came to see us last night, and tonight a person from "Sturdy Home Improvement" came to see us, they install "Enviroview Windows". The SHI salesman said that Enviroview has been around 60 years and that SHI has been around 12. I haven't been able to prove (or disprove) either of those statements. The BBB had SHI listed, but had no complaints against it. It did not list Enviroview Windows.

SHI stated that they use the Energy Rating system that is used outside the US, instead of relying on the U factor, because the U factor doesn't measure everything it should. He also said that it was rated by the National Fenestration Institute, but I couldn't find Enviroview on their list of companies. Unfortunately, "energy rating" is such a common phrase I couldn't get an information on it from the web. Is this a real thing? Is it really used in Canada? Can I believe him about what he says about the Energy Rating of his windows? How do I know he's not just making things up.

I can't find any kind of reviews of Enviroview windows on the web. I have found some people saying bad things about SHI, but always about their large renovation projects and subcontractors. The salesman assured me that they have their own installers who work directly for their company who would do the installation.

Should I go with one of these? Should I get another bid? SHI was cheaper than THD by $300 for the cost of the project. They both guarantee the same things. I'd really like to avoid being scammed here.

thanks!
Alicia

window helper

Re: Home Depot or Sturdy Home Improvement/Enviroview Windows?

#2 Post by window helper »

Alicia,

Unfortunately I do not have any knowledge or experience with either SHI or Enviorview so I can not comment on either. Home Depot is Home Depot, you will get what you pay for there.

There are a few things to consider here:
1. There should be no reason why a window sold in the US should not use US ratings. This is a standard of measure published by the National Fenestration Rating Council that actually measures U value, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient, and Visible Light Transmittance. The reason for the rating standards is so consumers can make an "apples to apples" comparison between windows. Take that advice for what its worth when considering a "non-US" rating system...

2. If you do not feel right about the two companies you had look at your project, get a third...fourth...fifth until you find what is right. Too many homeowners feel like they have to settle for what they are being told and get into a situation that does not work out well. When you consider the cost of a window replacement project, shouldn't you make sure you are comfortable and happy with the results?

Do a bit more research... the National Fenestration Rating Council site will give you energy rating information. Energy Star's site will tell you more, and The Efficient Windows Collaborative site is extremely detailed. (Sorry, but I am not sure if we can post addresses, so you will have to do some "Google work" to get these sites. Hope this helps.