Window Replacements in PA

Share your experiences with others
summer

Window Replacements in PA

#1 Post by summer »

Looking for suggestions on window replacements in PA. We are leaning towards vinyl windows due to the low maintanence. We have quotes from Pella for their Encompass Vinyl Windows, Sunrise Windows and from Restoration windows. We were also considering getting a quote from Renewal by Andersen. The quotes on the Sunrise and Restoration windows were higher than the Pella, which surprised us. Although both Sunrise and Restorations seems to have some insullation in the window sash and frame and have features such as tilt for easy cleaning and have double locks, which Pella does not. My questions -- are vinyl windows a good choice or should we be looking at fiberglass and if vinyl is ok what brand/manufacturer is better. By looks and features we were leaning towards the Restoration but I was really put off by the salesperson and didn't know if the pricing is worth it for a vinyl window. Any suggestions or advice would be great. We are also looking for a front entry door and like the style and decorative glass the best in Pella...

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window Replacements in PA

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am a high volume CPC(certified pella contractor), I would not use the Encompass, very low quality.
In vinyl we have great success with Simonton 5500 or Dailey( a small mfg in willow grove), also like Gorell and great lakes.
Vinyl is going to be great for you.

windowdude

#3 Post by windowdude »

Yes, vinyl windows are a good choice. Fiberglass and composite windows are also options, depending on your taste, budget, etc...but there are several good windows available and lots of good installers, just make sure you keep doing your homework before you buy because buying bad windows (or having a bad install) is a very expensive mistake to make. :D

If you don't mind me asking, what was it about that salesperson that put you off?

summer

#4 Post by summer »

Thank you for responding. Is Gorrell and Great Lakes the same as Restoration WIndows and Sunrise Windows? If so is there specific models/versions of vinyl windows by them that you would suggest? Also has anyone had any experience with the tilt in feature on the vinyl used for cleaning the windows -- I'm wondering if that creates any failures of sorts.

To answer the question on the salesperson putting me off -- he spent way too much time at our house -- 2 1/2 hours, too much time on what's wrong with other products and their warranties by going through each and every warranty, which is a good thing to know, but he didn't have to go through each one. He also started out with a huge price and then automatically put a discount on it suggesting as if we are getting the best deal going. This just makes me feel like I'm some how getting ripped off because their product is so overpriced in the first place and the finally price was still rather expensive. Is Restoration Windows that good?? I had 4 people come out for quotes on windows & entry door, he was the only one that suggested that I should get a screen door when the existing one I have is in good shape. The others didn't even mention it other than that we wanted to keep it and that they would take it off and reinstall (for a fee from all of them) but he suggested that if they did that he could make no guarantees that it would work (but he was going to charge $90 to install and not guarantee it would work??). Also all the others suggested that we buy our own hardware (doorknobs, etc) at Lowe's or Home Depot as they would be less expensive and that they would install for us, not him.

windowdude

#5 Post by windowdude »

Well...what is important to you in a new window? Energy efficiency? Looks? Options? Warranty? Durability? Good track record? Price? Start there and take your time. Once you get to that point it would be easier to make a recommendation.

But as far as the tilt-to-clean mechanisms go...most, in my opinion, are pretty good, easy to use and reliable as long as we're talking about good quality windows. But windows are like anything else...there are different grades of windows...good, bad, ugly, low-end, high-end, mid-grade. Some low-end versions leave much to be desired and I guess the best way to describe their balances and tilt mechanisms would be to say that they are "clunky" and "artificial"-feeling. If you go with a good window, you shouldn't have any problems with the tilt-in feature.

Thanks for the feedback on your salesman. And keep asking questions here, you're at the right place. :)

summer

#6 Post by summer »

We definitely want to get a window that is energy efficient and qualifies for the tax credit. Durability and good track record would be something we are looking for as well. Our current windows have a lot of air coming through and we get a lot of condensation on them. We definitely want a good window that will stop that from happening and work for many years. Tilt feature seems nice but I don't want to compromise from getting a good window to an ok window based on that one feature. Would you suggest that the current windows that we received quotes for are good, middle or low end models? Or is the Simonton vinyl window or another be of better quality? We definitely don't want low end models that we will have problems with or be replacing in a few years. Also any suggestions on fiberglass entry door manufacturers? The one we liked based on looks was a Pella. We want a small decorative window (a somewhat modern design - no flowers or color other than black) at the top of the door but would want a good quality door.

Windows & Door Quoted (Sliders)
Pella Encompass -- original reply to my post suggest this is low end window & it does kind of look that way -- so this is out -- is there another Pella window we should be considering like the fiberglass that would be better than all the vinyl quotes we got?

Restorations Vinyl UltraUVss - U-Factor 0.28, Solar Heat Gain 0.28, Visible Transmittance 0.54, Air Leakage 0.1, Condensation 56, tilt and slide, fibercore sash rails, polyurethan insulated window, Argon gas, double locks, night stop, full screen, lifetime warranty on labor, glass. They also quoted the UltraAR90 & UltraKR90 series. Thermatru entry door - but we didn't like any of the windows for the doors.

Sunrise Vinyl - U-Factor 0.30, Condensation Resistance 54, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient 0.30, Visble Transmittance 0.56, Air Leakage 0.1, Tilt-In Sash for cleaning, triple weatherstripping, recessed double locks, Argon gas, polyurethan core, electrofusion welded, night stop, full screen. Provia Heritage entry door and storm door

Polaris Vinyl Ultraweld - PPG Solarban 70 XL Low-E Argon Glass, half screens, insulation and silicone caulking, I don't have all the numbers but they do qualify for the tax credit, night stop, foam filled frame. Aurora ACR 70 fiberglass door

Thanks for your assistance.

windowdude

#7 Post by windowdude »

I would say that based on your wanting energy efficient windows that would stop drafts and help with your condensation problem, and depending on your budget, you could do better than the windows you've seen so far. Maybe take a look at Soft-lite, Gorrell, Okna and a few others.

Don't worry about the tilt-in feature, you won't be compromising anything if you get a window that has it, as long as it's a good window.

Also, take a look at Precision doors. They have some nice stuff that is also energy efficient.