Looking for advice on replacement windows

Share your experiences with others
jander3860

Looking for advice on replacement windows

#1 Post by jander3860 »

I currently have weathervane windows which are rotting out. My house is 13 years old. I have had a few estimates on windows one from Paradigm and another from Jeld-wen. Paradigm uses a duralite spacer and Jeld-wen stainless steel which window spacer is better. I have also asked the contractors for a full frame window replacement, each have stated it is not necessary, but my concern is there could be rotten wood at the frame. Also would a full frame replacement window look better. All of my windows are casement style. Any advice?

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for advice on replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Duralite spacer system is non-metallic and will therefore have an advantage in edge of glass performance, however, I would not buy one window over another solely on the basis of a spacer.

If the frame is not rotted, a full frame replacement will not be necessary. You will get more glass but not totally necessary from an efficacy standpoint.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A full tear/full frame replacement increases visible glass, allows for rot check, and allows for the void between the window and frame to be foamed.
Down side is new interior casing, also takes a little longer to do.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

anthony wrote:A full tear/full frame replacement increases visible glass, allows for rot check, and allows for the void between the window and frame to be foamed.
Down side is new interior casing, also takes a little longer to do.

And it's more expensive. That said it could be argued that done correctly, it's the better job.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on the insert job, the void space between the frame and the home can still be foamed.

jander3860

#6 Post by jander3860 »

Thank you for you feedback. I am leaning toward the Paradigm window. Has anyone had any experiences with this company good or bad? I have scoured the internet looking for information/reviews from consumers and no luck. There was plenty of bad reviews on other windows. I am wondering why there is nothing on Paradigm. Also, my casements are large approx 6ft. Is vinyl a smart choice for large casements? I appreciate your input.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

6' casements are pushing the performance envelope for all mfg.
Make sure you have a good warranty from abetter mfg.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Paradigm has a pretty good product from what I've seen. I know a few contrators in my area that when they are not installing Marvin or Andersen full tear out types of windows, pretty much use Paradigm all of the time.