patio doors

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Fritz

patio doors

#1 Post by Fritz »

I'm looking at installing a patio door 64x79 3/4. I'm trying to decide whether to go with steel or vinyl and I would like a nudge in one direction or the other. I have quotes of $1700.00 to $2400.00 for both materials installed. Any thoughts on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Steel offers a choice of colors and I would think more security. Vinyl more durability over the long run I would think. The two brands I'm considering right now are PlyGem and Precision. Thanks

Marc Sylvain

#2 Post by Marc Sylvain »

The plygem door was re designed this year. It's a great door and if you can get it for under $2400 that's an extreme bargain IMO

Don't know the other door so I can not comment.

Marc

jack7447

#3 Post by jack7447 »

take a look at anderson they hold up the best. I like the narrow line,or
french wood units.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I know I get my rear kicked every time I post on Patio Doors. But my heart is still with Pella's patio door. I still have the best luck with them. They roll so nice and are so solid in functionality. They have a nice hardware set up with three point locking for security. The Architect and Designer series offer a spectrum of colors. They have feature colors that cover most personal requirements. The also offer a Rolscreen hide away insect screen. There are a bunch of things you can learn about Pella's product: http://www.pella.com/products/windows_p ... io/sliding.
Vinyl products can also be just as secure if not more secure. It's much easier to break into a wood clad door than a vinyl one. The wood can break off when pryed open. Vinyl will take a lot more pressure to break into. If the latch keeper is screwed down right on any patio door it will be tough to get into. A foot bolt will offer great security for any patio door. Hope this helps!!

Guy

Marc Sylvain

#5 Post by Marc Sylvain »

Guy,

I like the Pella door as well. The guy said he was considering Plygem and precision, so that's what I answered. If he would have asked for recomendations on all doors or what do you think is the best patio door I would have answered Anderson or Pella. That's not to say I would put either of these doors into my own home. But if money was no object and I thought that the aditional cost of Pella or Anderson out weighed the cost of a Plygem door they would be a choose. Personally for the money...Alside patio doors, (and I beleive they are made by Royal) is a great door.

Marc

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Marc,
When someone is just considering products I always throw other options their way. Most the time they have only just seen these styles. Most consumers really have no clue what to look for or what they need. So throwing out different options gives them something else to consider. I myself have Andersen in my home. The patio door is a Frenchwood Glider which I'm not impressed with from a homeowners aspect. The Operating sash has been replaced three times from bowing. I seal and paint it as soon as it gets to my door step. The weatherseals constantly squeak when the door opens and closes. I have other issues that really don't need to bash Andersen. I really like the windows I have installed. I'm sure everyone has different things they like and don't like about every product on the market. So I always try to get a customer to look at all options just in case they haven't seen or heard of a product. Most of all I'm not trying to disrespect any other people who post remarks for any consumer here. Everyone has great opinions on what they like to offer. I'm just offering a different side to look at. No disrespect meant in any way.

Guy

Fritz

#7 Post by Fritz »

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Guy, you hit the nail on the head with your last post. I think most homeowners want to find the best product they can afford, with the best quality they can afford, and with so many choices we need guidance in those area's. We all understand vendors want to sell their product and they will, but what I can afford and what the next person may be able to afford maybe completely different but we both want to make a good decision when we purchase. For example Andersen and Pella are not really on my list, but I still want a good product and I'm open to all suggestions as to what products to consider, but I realize the choice is mine in the end based on what I can afford. In other words keep up the good work with the input all of you guys put out there. So can I have suggestions for a good patio door, that will look nice, keep out the cold air and work properly for sometime to come.
Thank you

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

The biigest rhing I look for is if the active door operates smooth and latches with out hitting the frame. Most any manufacturer of patio doors has something that works all right. I would suggest your local DIY store will carry a good low and mid ranged door. These will satisfy your goals by not working your pocket book to hard. HD has the Andersen Frenchwood Series and they also have the Narrowline series. Lowes has Pella products with some others I'm not familiar with yet. Any of these would work well. Remember you get what you pay for. If you pay $200 for the door it will be junk. The other thing to consider is the size of your unit. Not every manufacturer can make a door the size you posted. This will narrow down your search. Good Luck!!

Cheryl

#9 Post by Cheryl »

Marc, what else can you tell me about the Alside door? Do you know if they make a 9ft. 3 panel center opening???

How about Certainteed's doors?? Does anyone have an opinion on their patio door? I have posted these question several times before, but to my suprise and disappointment, neither time did I get a response. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Fritz

#10 Post by Fritz »

Thank You, Guy, Cheers!!!! Have a safe and happy holiday season..

Kenny Myles

#11 Post by Kenny Myles »

I had an 8' PlyGem put in last year in NJ. We had a very cold winter last year, and it did a great job. It's solid, quiet, has a 3 point locking system. I'm very happy with it, especially with how it handled the cold last winter. One man's opinion. Good luck.