pricing for custom windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jnoel

pricing for custom windows

#1 Post by jnoel »

I'm renovating a very old house with lots of with odd sized windows (e.g. 13 windows are 32"x69.5"). From my internet searches it seems that most of the vinyl or aluminum-clad windows are in standard sizes which will not fit well. So I'm wondering how much additional money per window should I expect if I start asking for non-standard sizes.

Thanks for any help

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

we would need alot more info on what it is you are looking for.
Also, what brands have you been looking at on line?
Some companies do not custom make windows.
In your case, you may require tempered or double strength glass depending on proximity to floor.
But as a starting point for you, the low end windows typically add 10% as a minimum to custom make windows while some manufactures can double the price for a made to order (mostly the wood windows).

jnoel

#3 Post by jnoel »

Thanks for the input. So far I've been looking at the "home store" brands -- anderson, pella, milgard and some names that have been mentioned on this site -- eagle, schuco. Originally I was expecting to get medium quality for around $500 per window.

As for more info about the windows -- they already have poorly installed vinyl replacements in them that are cracking and falling apart and a few of the vinyl frames are sagging in the middle -- so I know I want re-enforced frames of some kind. I'm not sure how to tell if I need tempered glass. The windows are about 2' 6" off the floor.
[/img]

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

jnoel,

What part of the county do you live in. You might get more imput if you let us know. There are different manufcturers accross the country. Each on charges what the market will let them. On the West Coast, most windows manu. do not charge for custome sizes. If is almost always by united inch or the like.