linear and kd

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bjohnson

linear and kd

#1 Post by bjohnson »

Hello! Recently I have had two in-home estimates for replacement windows, and each salesperson kept throwing around the terms "linear" and "kd" windows - the purpose was that their particular window (Gorell and Vytex, respectively) was "linear", meaning it met these 15 or 20 manufacturing requirements that corellated directly to high quality, and that the other guy's windows were "kd", or poor quality. I can't find ANY reference to these terms on this or other sites. Is this a sales technique? Does it really mean anything? Help is much appreciated!

- Bob

JScott

linear and kd terminologies

#2 Post by JScott »

The only reference that we know of is in many manufacturers refer to the clip in interior wood grills on wood and clad windows is that kd is referenced to "kiln-dried" or stick grills. Given this board is predominately vinyl based I have never heard of these references for vinyl. There is a term for lineals which reference the stock lengths of the vinyl materials used in the production of a vinyl and fiberglass windows and doors. This information you have asked causes me to put up a red flag that something may not be right in Denmark or Houston has a problem.

johnam

#3 Post by johnam »

"kd" could mean "Knock-Down"...........manufacturer buys components cut to size and assembles window. "linear"...........manufacturer buys lenghts of material, cuts them to size and assembles window.

Mass. window guy

#4 Post by Mass. window guy »

To all of you considering window replacements,
If there is a term a salesman uses that you don't understand, ask for clarification!
You are talking about a big investment- if one of my customers went elsewhere to get a question answered about something we discussed, then I did not build any trust with them.

newwindow55

#5 Post by newwindow55 »

Window guy, are you the same window guy that I see post on the BoB Vila Board ?

earwax

#6 Post by earwax »

Mass Window Guy is correct on the terms. I also use in terms with the aluminum doors. They either will be sold KD or assembled. So you either have them in pieces (knocked-down) or assembled.

Mass. window guy

#7 Post by Mass. window guy »

nope, I am brand new to these type of forums.