Is this a reasonable quote--I have to decide in 2 days!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cbo

Is this a reasonable quote--I have to decide in 2 days!

#1 Post by cbo »

We had a visit from a sales rep with Sears Home Central. He gave us a quote on double-hung, no grid windows called "Weather Beater Max". He said they are made by Simonton. They are vinyl, spaced insulated glass, low E/argon.
The 5 double-hung windows measure 30" X 34". The 6th window will be a 3-lite roller measuring approximately 6' X 4'. The price includes screens, installation, and removal and hauling off of our old windows (which are 27-years-old in in pretty bad shape).
The original quote for all 6 windows was $6035. He gave us a 10% volume discount, lowering the price to $5431. He then gave us another discount of $375--who knows what for--and then another 10% intial visit discount, which made the final total price come to $4551.
I have no idea about prices, but we were very impressed with the quality of the window. He brought a miniature sample, along with a 250 watt lightbulb in a box, which he then demonstrated how well the window diffused the heat when place in front of the bulb.
This seems like a heck of a lot of money to me, but it was the first and only quote we got. And with the extra $500 off for signing up during the initial visit, we couldn't resist.
I know, it's the oldest trick in the book. We did this last night. so we still have 2 days to cancel if we decide.
I really like the windows. but if we are paying way too much for them, I can always wait and shop around.
I welcome any feedback or advice from anyone with knowledge about pricing or quality with these windows.
Thanks so much!
cbo

billyd1

window quote

#2 Post by billyd1 »

You are being asked to pay WAY too much. I deal with Simonton windows alot and they are very good quality windows. Sears is notorious for charging exorbitant prices for their home improvement products. SHOP AROUND. Go to Simontons website, I'm not sure if they will direct you to local contractors or not, but hopefully you can find a local distributor that can help. Good luck.
P.S. We contractors love to come in after a Sears rep. They make us all look good cause their prices are so high.

art

#3 Post by art »

cbo -

I sold windows for Sears earlier last year. The rep was NOT being dishonest - he was presenting the program the way he'd been trained to. And as far as I know, they DO offer those discounts on the initial visit only - at least that's what we were led to believe.

However, the windows are made by Simonton and as has been stated, you can get a better window (9800 Series) for less money by dealing with a Simonton dealer. Sears is not dishonest or unethical, just way over the top on price and the tactics they make their salesmen follow.

You could also do what I did - use a different manufacturer. Simonton is pretty good but there are better for about the same price. I'd suggest you read a number of posts on this board or the sister site, go through the hassle of a number of presentations and pay particular attention to what you can find out about the quality of installation. As the pros will tell you, a poor installation can make a great window poor and a great installation can make a poor window good.

Best of luck in your search.

E-Z

#4 Post by E-Z »

Hey CBO,

One word CANCEL NOW!! :shock: Oh thats 2 words my bad.
But anyways listen to these guys they are right.

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

AR50

#5 Post by AR50 »

You should've also got an invitation to dinner and a movie.

The window is good. The price is laughable.

Sears="Tinmen" the movie.

cbo

Thank you all or your timely responses!

#6 Post by cbo »

I appreciate all your feedback. I thought the price was way up there.
I will visit the Simonton website and see what I can find out about local installers. We are in the Knoxville, TN area, and sometimes finding good reputable installers or service of any kind is a challenge.
I welcome any more feedback or advice.
You all are great!
cbo

art

#7 Post by art »

pellaman 7 -

I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument as this isn't the forum for it. However, the discount(s) were available only during the initial visit - period. At least that's what we were told and I know that at least one of my presentations called in about two days later to order but then didn't because the discounts were no longer available. In that regard, while I didn't then and don't now agree with the methodology, it was the truth.

Secondly, most of the reps did not 'know his business' insofar as windows were concerned. I'm not knocking them but they work on commission only, travel hundreds of miles per week at their own expense, average 1.5 - 2.0 presentations per day and generally have a less than stellar sales performance. It's not that their making huge amounts of $$ - yes, some do, and most are conscientious and honest, but the education (training) just isn't there. And for many neither is the requisite income - hence a higher than average turnover in personnel.

Tell me, if a salesman sells his product to a customer and the customer then cancels say, a week or two AFTER the federally required 3 day right of recission and is subsequently told by the company that the cancellation is invalid due to the time involved (even if the product has not been yet manufactured), is that unethical?

I never said anything negative about Sears and they are not unethical, simply very much overpriced and their sales tactics at the table, although disagreeable to myself and others, are not dishonest - the homeowner gets the discounts then and then only as far as I know.

windowshopper

#8 Post by windowshopper »

A business has a right to charge whatever they want but when you are that far overpriced it is a ripoff.

kris

#9 Post by kris »

if you're considering cancelling this contract you probalbly should of never signed in the first place. don't let anybody slam dunk you into a contract until you're ready and comfortable your getting a good window/install.

cbo

We did cancel the order before the 3-day limit

#10 Post by cbo »

Hello all.

My husband did call the rep the 2nd day after we signed for the windows. He told him that after receiving feedback from more knowledgable sources than ourselves, we were choosing to cancel the order.

He was surprised and did not say much. We faxed a copy of the work order to his manager in Nashville with our cancellation on the order. We asked that they acknowledge receipt of this fax, which they did with a return fax.

At this point, we feel much better about the whole thing and will begin window-shopping in a much more prudent manner.

By the way, the Sears sales rep was extremely cordial and seemed to know his product well. We really liked him and did not feel that he personally was being dishonest. It is just a shame that his product was so over-priced. The quality and features of the windows appeared to be very good, and had the price been more reasonable, we would have continued with the order.

I may be back in touch to pick your brains about various manufacturers, but I thank you all so much for your time and interest in keeping us grounded.

With much gratitude,
cbo and family

seanw

#11 Post by seanw »

cbo,

I'm in Knoxville, Tn as well. I have been trying to find the right window at the right price from the right dealer as well. So far have gotten quotes for Gorell, Sugarcreek and am waiting on one for Alside and Simonton 5500. Seems the closes Simonton Impressions dealer (according to their website) is in Ft Oglethorpe, GA.

Would like to hear about your findings. Email me at seanwfsu@yahoo.com if you would like to trade info.

cbo

#12 Post by cbo »

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Sean,

That's the same info I found when I visited the Simonton website. We have not done any further investigating at this point. When we do, I'll be in touch to trade info.

Thank you for offering!
cbo

cbo,

I'm in Knoxville, Tn as well. I have been trying to find the right window at the right price from the right dealer as well. So far have gotten quotes for Gorell, Sugarcreek and am waiting on one for Alside and Simonton 5500. Seems the closes Simonton Impressions dealer (according to their website) is in Ft Oglethorpe, GA.

Would like to hear about your findings. Email me at seanwfsu@yahoo.com if you would like to trade info.