After the sale...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
stlblue

After the sale...

#1 Post by stlblue »

Greetings:

I've had my new windows installed. What kind of things should I look for to make certain they were installed correctly?

Many thanks,

StlBlue

FenEx

response

#2 Post by FenEx »

Make sure the locks are on the inside.

stlblue

#3 Post by stlblue »

Finally, I get a reply from you. :) The locks are on the inside and they said the middle pane will be installed next week. :lol: I'd sincerely appreciate some much respected hadvice from you. I am having a bit of trouble w/ some of the locks and perhaps air infiltration.

Thanks,

stlblue

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Good one Fenex! I heard of a story (maybe it's only an urban legend) where the homeowners came home from work to find that the installers put the windows in with the locks on the outside. That would be really aggravating to have to go outside to unlock the window so you could open it. It probably wouldn't be too watertight either. If it happened, all I have to say is....DUH!

StlBlue,
You can check two simple things first. Open up the window from the top and the bottom so you see an 1/8" gap of light coming in from the outside. The reveal of light should be even from end to end of the window. The second thing is to look at the gap between the frame and the sashes where the fuzzy pile is. The gap should be the same from top to bottom on both sashes. If not, then it was not shimmed properly and could be the cause of the air leakage.
Either of these two things being off could affect the locks not closing properly.

pwhite

#5 Post by pwhite »

stlblue...I'd be curious to know if you're from st. louis and which brand of window/company you used?

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Stlblue: "Finally, I get a reply from you."

I'm sorry... didn't know you were looking for one from me. You can contact me at FenEx@optonline.net too. I like to help, but I don't read every post.. have to work once in awhile. Feel free to email a contact number.

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

Window4U

I have had the pleasure of going to a tract home project to look at a window. The project Super noticed, after the house was stuccoed, that a window was installed inside out. I can't imagine any other circumsatnce I can see it. We had to rip the window out and reinstall and pay for the stucco. Fun. The home owner never got the opportunity to wintess it, but I can actually believe it could happen with some builders and remodelers. I think we all know someone in our industry that is that dumb.