Mercer Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bjones_y

Mercer Windows

#1 Post by bjones_y »

I just recieved a quote for replacing 9 windows. I was impressed with the salesman, company and quote. Seemed open, honest and no pressure. The company has been doing windows for 20 years and use Mercer and Certainteed and recommand the Mercer because of a better lock. I have three questions I am seeking guidance on:

1) Are Mercer windows high, avg or poor quality? Lifetime waranty and sound OK on their web site but find no feedback on this brand at this board.

2) Install, everyone else I talked to keeps the old aluminum frame and does a slip in window inside the old frame. These guys "extract the frame without damaging the stucco and tar paper", seal the void left by the nail strip, then slide in and seal the window. They say they have done this for years and no leak problems?

3) Based on prices on his board the price seems maybe too good. 9 windows, 850 U.I for $4K installed

Thanks in advance for all you window experts that invest the time to help us buyers on this board

E-Z

#2 Post by E-Z »

[
quote]1) Are Mercer windows high, avg or poor quality? Lifetime waranty and sound OK on their web site but find no feedback on this brand at this board.
They are way better brands for the price...Polybau, Simonton,
Amerimax, Lbl etc......
2) Install, everyone else I talked to keeps the old aluminum frame and does a slip in window inside the old frame. These guys "extract the frame without damaging the stucco and tar paper", seal the void left by the nail strip, then slide in and seal the window.
They say they have done this for years and no leak problems?
Short answer: Bullsh@#
Long answer: Do not believe me check with your local building department in any given city in California. If the overall majority of the companies is telling you that either they will do a nail on fin installation with some kind of stucco or siding repair or the "Retrofit Windows" is the acceptable way what makes this company special?? Do not believe me or them....believe your local building department.
3) Based on prices on his board the price seems maybe too good. 9 windows, 850 U.I for $4K installed ....
Prices do not seem too good to be true .... more like average keep on looking....

Good luck.

E-z