Info ?? Mission-style windows/New Construction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
retrorod

Info ?? Mission-style windows/New Construction

#1 Post by retrorod »

In the planning stages of building first home. Inexperienced and trying to get 'book smart' so to speak! Discovered this forum and its wealth of knowledge a few days ago.
Plans are for an 'arts and crafts'(mission) style, single level home. We were originally thinking about Anderson double-hung windows, because we liked the wood. After the builder we are talking with gave us a price on them, we feel that it is not in our budget to go that route.
He is a big fan of the Simonton vinyl windows that he has used in a lot of houses and would cost half of what the Andersons would. Seems by your posts that they are a decent mid-priced window with several levels of quality and options.
My wife and I would really like to have windows with the 3 over 1 style that was popular on the arts and crafts style home, ie: 3 panes on the top and a solid pane on the bottom. Anyone know if Simonton windows can be ordered with this style muntons? If not or If so, are there any other brands that someone has experience with or can recommend in this style and price range?
We will be using double-hung sized 32x54 and 32X62 primarily.
Thanks for any help..

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Simonton would be a good choice for your new home. Just for clarification purposes. When you talk about the three over one window you mean windows stacked upon each other in a row I hope? If I'm understanding you right it was a common practice in the 50's & 60's to stack windows in the front of the home. Like an awning window on the bottom of two dead lights (or fixed panels). We've done this today stacking them in a Pyramid on the rear of homes. I guess my best explanation would be this way. You can pretty much get what you want how you want. You can assemble them in the field very easily or have them done in the factory. They must be made in a nominal shipping size or they will have to be field mulled together. You can snap these windows together like Lego Building Bocks in the field!! I would recommend making them reasonably sized though. Sometimes these windows get so big the entire wall shakes when you close a door. There is so much flex and movement in these bigger walls today. You should draw out what you want so you can present this to your sales person. THis will be easier to explain. Good Luck in your journey ahead.

retrorod

Clarifying 3 over 1 windows ?

#3 Post by retrorod »

Thanks for the reply but I am not referring to stacked windows as you described. This is more about the look (placement) of the grid between the glass....standard double-hung windows with 2 vertical muntons(?) in the top half of window to resemble 3 panes, and no grids in the bottom window. I am not good on the terminology...but that is the best way I know to describe it...a grid pattern. Some companies offer say colonial etc. but this is a mission or arts and crafts style grid.
Hope someone can help...

Dan

#4 Post by Dan »

You should be able to specify your grid pattern with almost any window manufacturer. With a new construction home the window sizes you are looking at will not meet egress requirements. Most vinyl windows have to be 36 x 64 to meet minumum egress requirements although some will meet the requirement at 36 x 60.

earwax

#5 Post by earwax »

Like Dan said, just about all the window manufacturers will make a custom grid pattern. I was wondering if you had to meet the building codes for huricanes where you live. If that is case, your vinyl window selection goes down considerably.