Selecting an installer? Window Nation? (NE Ohio)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AOF

Selecting an installer? Window Nation? (NE Ohio)

#1 Post by AOF »

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice to windows - just started researching a few weeks ago. We'd like to get new vinyl windows this year to replace the original 1929 farmhouse windows we currently have. Before finding this site and doing some poking around, I was leaning toward Window World... after reading the reviews on here, they're not really in the running any longer. We plan to stay in our house for a long time, so we don't want something cheap. However, we don't have a ton of money to spend, either.

We are replacing 12 windows, 11 double hung and 1 dormer (will probably replace with a slider). We absolutely need a wood-grain interior; fortunately all the windows I've looked at so far have a nice faux cherry finish available. We're located near Akron, Ohio.

I had Window Nation come out; they quoted us $6654 for all 12 windows installed (Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows with woodgrain interior). Does this price seem right? From the reading I've done, it appears that the Imperial LS is a good window. Which leaves installation. How do I know if their installers are any good? I checked the BBB, and they have 6 complaints listed and a B+ rating. (Window World has an A+ rating and no complaints - not sure how that works if they're as bad as everyone says). Their installers are AAMA certified and I was told they work for Window Nation and are not subcontractors. This quote is pretty much at the top of our price range.

Any help you guys can give me would be fantastic. I want to make the right decision. Are there other windows I should be considering at my price point? I know I passed a Marvin showroom on the way to the Window Nation one.