Windows for noise reduction...

Share your experiences with others
miaent

Windows for noise reduction...

#1 Post by miaent »

Hi, I apologize if this is a redundant inquiry. I live on a busy neighborhood street...not like a busy boulevard...but busy enough to want noise reduction during busy times. We have a simple one story ranch style home which the front 3 windows (say 4'x3') are single pane. I don't want to sound proof but want good windows that provide great noise reduction. I'm ok buying higher quality windows but not bank breakers. I've called Sears and WindowWorld but truly don't think they will have what I am looking for or the quality. So I am hoping some of you can save me with some good suggestions. I live in Northern California so the weather isn't bad even though 40 degree nights bleed in the cold from the single panes.

booschang

Re: Windows for noise reduction...

#2 Post by booschang »

Southwall Technologies in Palo Alto manufactures Heat Mirror. The suspended film, Krypton gas, and thickness of the glass pack provides superior sound deadening. They have a search tool on their web site you can use to find a vendor in your area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I sold about 10,000 windows with Heat Mirror in them in the 80's. I would be surprised if any of them are still in operation because of Heat Mirror wrinkling, oxidizing and turning color.
Southwall blamed the window manufacturers for improper methods in the factories when they were put together. The window companies blamed Southwall, ...a position I believe in because multiple factories all had the same problems. We had a triple hit because we sold Hurd, NuSash (LP owned then), and 4 Seasons Sunrooms.

I don't care if they say the problems have been wrinkled out so to speak, I'll never sell the stuff or recommend it as long as I live.

fenestrationman

#4 Post by fenestrationman »

You may want to consider laminated glass products for a start.

2MinuteWindowTips

#5 Post by 2MinuteWindowTips »

The best glass package for you would be one pane of laminated glass and the second pane tempered glass.
This combination of glass will give you the best sound deadening without going to "airport grade" windows.
Select a window frame material consisting of a very thick vinyl frame or a strong composite type frame.
The different layers and densities, including the polymer inside the laminated piece of glass, work together to
reduce sound waves in the frequency range that most people want to deaden. It works!

TLHWINDOW

#6 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Just to add to the above. Some Sound/Security windows will do the job, but a full Impact window with DS glass and a thicker inner membrane will decrease the noise more.

It would just depend on what kind of money you want to spend.

-Andrew