NM Climate-need windows

Share your experiences with others
ksp

NM Climate-need windows

#1 Post by ksp »

Looking for recommendations for replacement windows in somewhat rural New Mexico.
Stucco construction, live east of Albuquerque in the "east mountains". Weather can vary from
very wet to very dry, very cold to very hot and direct sunlight. Have original metal frame windows
currently. House is approx 15 yrs old. Have looked at a few models/brands of windows, but would
really like referrals or recommendations from existing customers or contractors with installation experience
to comment. Thanks again

Robohobo

Re: NM Climate-need windows

#2 Post by Robohobo »

What I have seen being from 'Burque.

Vinyl windows do not last more than 10 years in this high altitude. The high UV light will degrade normally robust material quickly here. Invest in a good aluminum clad vinyl or wood window. There are many brands to choose from. I put Peachtree windows in my house and Reliabuilt steel french doors from Lowes in the replacement sliding doors. I just matched the paint to the finish on the windows.

You cannot go cheap in this climate, they just do not last. The vendors will tell you that they will but they are not being 100% truthful.

If you put in wood, use a very high quality paint on the outside and keep it clean. Repair dents and dings immediately when you notice them. Also, use a lighter color if you can. I could not because of the trim color on the outside of the house,. I have a 46 yo Mossman.