Help needed in Texas-- Alside vs. NT Window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kag3

Help needed in Texas-- Alside vs. NT Window

#1 Post by kag3 »

I live in the DFW area and have an all brick home. I have 17 windows which face the west which have failed. Of these 17 windows, I have 8 picture windows (approx. 71 X 35) which must be replaced. The room of particular concern has the 8 picture windows and is actually a 2-story room. Currently, I have aluminum frame builder grade windows and therefore have a ton of heat rising to the second story of my house. Since I live in Texas, my replacement windows need to sustain 100+ degree heat for about 10 hours a day. After consulting with several reputable and long-established window replacement companies in the area, I have narrowed my selection down to 2 windows-- the Clarity Marquis window (made by Alside) and the NT Energy Master window.

Here are the specs on the Clarity Marquis (Alside):
•triple pane window with dual argon chambers
•U-Value- .15
•SHGC-. 17
•14 coats solar ban
•70 tint
•blocks 99.5% of UV rays
•vinyl frame of PVC resin and insulating air frame with foam enhancements (this is an extra thick frame so I loose more glass)
•The price for the window and installation breaks down to approximately $688 per window

NT Energy Master Series specs:
•Double Pane Window
•U-Value- .28
•SHGC-. 21
•The price for this window and installation breaks down to approximately $561 per window

Based on the specs of both windows, will I notice a substantial temperature differential in my house between windows with a SHGC value of .17 versus a .21? Is this difference worth the price difference of $127 per window? (Both companies put a light to their prospective window and to the touch, I could not feel heat coming through either window. The light one company used was a red bulb and the other company used a clear bulb. I don’t know if this makes a difference?) Finally, is there distortion when you go from a dual to a triple pane of glass?
I appreciate any feedback!