replacement window comparisons...Please help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
trappyman

replacement window comparisons...Please help

#1 Post by trappyman »

I am looking at replacing the windows in a 1897 Victorian that I remodeling in the Northern Maine area. Money is an issue right now, but I want to get the best window for the money...I have been to Home Depot, and Lowe's. they are the only stores in my area that are large enough to get the best prices. All of the mom and pop stores are almost $80.00 window higher, and I need 21 windows, so the cost really adds up.
I am looking at the American Craftsman 8700 series from HD and the Atrium/reliabilt 3100 series from Lowes. I was hoping that someone could give me a little insight as to which one of these windows in better, or are there any better windows out there for people on a shoe string budget? Thanks for any insight anybody can send my way....

Windows on Washington

Re: replacement window comparisons...Please help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you purchasing the windows and installing them or comparing installed prices?

toddinmn

Re: replacement window comparisons...Please help

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Silverline 8700's are sliders and the 3100's are single hung windows.You probally meant silverline 8500's.I am not familiar with the 3100's but the 3201's are a nice window for the money and I would use those over the Silverline 8500's.Home depot also sells Simonton's but you sometimes have to ask as they do not seem to promote these.I would also check your local siding companies for prices as well,it is not uncommon for them to beat boxstore prices.I also do not like the slight bluish tint of the silverline windows.Keep calling around since prices will vary alot.